Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just ordered my stand and viv to be built and i just need to know a few n00b questions.

1. UVA/UVB light tube, Is it ok for the light to be on the roof of the vivarium similarly to a fish tank, or does it have to be close to the reptile.

Vivarium is 36x18x18 and i am planning on going for a 24" light tube, that should be fine right?

2. I am going to be going for a Infrared heat bulb, so i can have 24/7 heat source, Will the reptile be ok with this or do they need an actual LIGHT source for basking?

Reptile im getting will be a RANKINS DRAGON.

Thanks guys, also anyone know any cheap places within the uk for these things? im going for livefoods.co.uk or ebay.

·
Registered
185 Posts
hey

my rankins have a strip light (reptiglow 8.0) and then a sunglow basking bulb both light stay on for 12 hour period every day 8.30am to 8.30pm

hope it goes ok

si

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you think that the temperature in the uk at night will be fine for a rankins, so it wont need night time heat source?

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Hiya theu UVB tube should be near to the dragon,...im afraid on top of the fishtank wont be any gd. 24" should be fine tho.

Also rankins dragons like bearded dragons need a basking area...this shuld be around 90' according to most caresheets x

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok well i hope you can quickly breed some rankins nat :p i will get one from you. Also... do you have any s/h stuff i could grab off you? for $ of course.

·
Registered
185 Posts
my rankins should be breeding in january time i have my basking spot at 110

·
Registered
801 Posts
Check out the Classifieds, there's always bits going there. I know Lofty had some, and davew.

Or Ebay, if stuff is close enough to you it can work out quite cheap.

Good luck :2thumb:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If i get a light heat source rather than IR do i still need an IR or will the light bulb be enough to keep the viv to temperature. IE hot in one side and cooler but still 70's odd.

·
Registered
185 Posts
all you need is a basking lamp and a strip light i was told these are the best for rankins.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok just purchased:
1 x Exo-Terra Heat Glo Spot Lamp (HEAT_GLO_SPO) = £6.45
Size required 75W
1 x Exo-Terra Repti-Glo 8.0 Tube (REPTIGLO8) = £14.99
Size required 24 x 1 inch
Thanks peeps.

Anyone have anything which i may need for a rankins or beardie setup...
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=10896
If i havnt stated i want it, still post as i may just take you up on what your offering anyway.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
do u have the starter unit for the uv tube?

u will need something to keep the temp up at night unless even in winter your room temp doesnt drop below 70 even in the middle of the night.

also do u have a stat?
75w bulb may be about right to be able to have it on all day without the temps gettin too warm on the cool side but yourl need to make sure b4 u get ur dragon.

By the way, if ur exo terra bulb blows after 6 weeks dont panic, just go buy a normal household reflector bulb, same job.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah i have a starter unit spare from all of my fish stuff. I may buy a ceramic (sp) bulb at 100 watts, it depends on weither i can sleep with the IR one :).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts