Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boa has mites and i just cleaned the tank out and bathed him and i noticed a white patch on his body, just wondering if its a serious problem or will the patch go when the mites have gone?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
i can see the patch.
is it textured at all: like different feel to the other scales of normal colour?
mites dont cause white patches so is it inflamed damp or soft or hard?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
do u have an unguarded bulb or heatmat?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the bulb has a guard on it and a heatmat that is under bark.... Do you think i should take the heatmat out?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I'm not sure it is the heatmat as the patch is small and on its back the boa would have to lie on its back to get burnt
Is the patch damp and soft?
If u touch the bulb guard for a long time does it hurt you? it may be that the guard is too close to the bulb?

If i were you i'd clean the patch with some salt water or similar and use a barrier cream like F10(it looks like vasilene and is anti fungal and antibiotic u can get it from places that keep birds or reptiles, or vets) that will sort an infection and a burn

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
is the snake due to shed at all? mine gets bubbly patches of skin like that if I give him a bath coming up to shed time

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea the guard does get hot burnt my self on it today while i was cleaning around the inside and the patch is just soft... I think he shed his skin 3 or maybe 4 weeks ago if i can remember right il get some cream and try get a bigger guard or something for the bulb and let ya's know how he gets on :) thanks for the advice everyone. x

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
i took on a boa that had the same mark - it was due to a burn. as sassyminx says, it may well be that the guard is heating up from being too close to the bulb - if you cant put your hands on the guard when the bulbs been on, then you can take it that the snake will burn. You can make a guard yourself - as long as the wire mesh you use is heat resistant, and can be bended into smooth shape..

as for the mat, mats should really be on stats, or at the very least mounted to the side of the viv, so the boa cannot sit on it and get burned that way.

doesnt look like its infected from the pics, and believe you me you will want to keep it that way (after an extremely long and nasty fight with scale rot on a rescue with burns)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ahh right cool whats the best to make a guard out of? And il also keep a close eye on that patch n make sure it doesnt get any worse, thanks again.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I personally use square mesh that u can buy from garden centers and cut it to shape and then screw it in place
but u must make enough space between the guard and bulb if it burns you it will burn the snake test it urself 1st: victory:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sweet thanks again il get doing it at the weekend.... getting or making a new viv also so i can potter about with some ideas and what not il let ya know how the lil feller gets on with his healing :) thanks again!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Heres an example of mine these i made myself:

u can make urs however you like dont 4get to test them u must be able to hold them for at least a minute without pain

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ahh rite thats cool, il get on to it at the weekend after a long week of work! :censor: lol thanks for they help again. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After giving the littler feller a soak in the bath and after i cleaned his tank and picked him back up i noticed that the white patch has changed and its hard now and it started to peel off a bit and can see some white skin under the bit of the skin that has came away abit, think it would be wise to take him to the vets?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Its not a huge gaping hole so u dont need a vet unless its bad
snakes heal very well as long as you clean the area and apply an antibiotic/antifungal cream
I personally use f10 barrier cream but again its up 2 u.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its just me over worring :D lol il get some of that right after work and keep a close eye on him if it gets any worse or better il post again and thanks for the fast reply :) x

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just been to all the pet shops near to where i live and none of them sold f10 only 1 could order it in but would take 1 - 2 weeks to get it....is there any thing else i could put on this burn like vasaline or something?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts