Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the quickest your snake has gone from swallowing, to passing it's food?

My wee girl had her single pinkie at 7:30pm on Tuesday night. I spotted at 6:30am this morning a turd on the other side of her tub. I don't know how long it's been there, though she was on that side stretched out at about 1am, so I'd hazard a guess anywhere between 30-35 hours.

Should she be okay to handle now?

I'd rather the thread be about the digestion time, but I may aswell stick one feeding query I have in here too. I've read three methods of feeding double pinkies:

Two pinkies, one sitting:
The first method I read was to give a pinkie, and let her take it. Then when she's passing it down, offer the second one.

Two pinkies, two sittings #1:
The second method is leaving the feeds 12-24 hours apart. For example, feeding her at 7pm on Tuesday, and then feeding the second between 7am and 7pm on the Wednesday.

Two Pinkies, two sittings #2:
The third and final approach I read was to feed two pinkies per week, by offering 3/4 days apart - one on a Monday, and then the second on a Thursday for example. The counter argument to this was the digestion process is ongoing, and can reduce the life of your snake. It also drew parallels to the potentially harmful power feeding.

I assume the first one is the universally accepted method of feeding doubles?

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
my june babies usually have their first poo after feeding at about 24-36 hours. i still try not to handle till 48, if i can clean out around them i try my best.

I feed mine this way..offer them one..let them swallow it then offer another to see if there is still interest there. so the first one you mentioned

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Bull snakes,Gophers etc have a very fast metabolism ,as little as 48hrs for an adult to digest a good sized rat

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Dave's usually crapped within 24 hours, he's onto 1 fuzzy in 2 feeds time so I'll see if larger prey compared to multiple small prey makes a difference.

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
Bull snakes,Gophers etc have a very fast metabolism ,as little as 48hrs for an adult to digest a good sized rat
I agree with that.
Bull Gopher and Pine are poop machine.:lol2:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
What's the quickest your snake has gone from swallowing, to passing it's food?
fed the babycorns last night..... went back 15 mins later to check they'd eaten and one had already pooed - does that count??? :lol2:

I've read three methods of feeding double pinkies:

I assume the first one is the universally accepted method of feeding doubles?
I'd go with the first method. I've used the third (ish - spaced 5 days apart) on babies who aren't big enough to take 2 at one sitting - but only when they've been out and actively hunting. The second (12-24 hours apart) seems bad as the snake ought to be sitting and digesting the first meal, rather than out hunting more.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I use the first method, I just pop two in together, sometimes both aren't taken and sometimes they are, just seems less stressfull to the snake this way.

As far as the poop goes, mine usually go a couple of days after feeding, but when they're feeding regular it's harder to tell for definate which poop came from which feed. You can of course take an educated guess, feed, poop, feed, poop approach, but a poop very soon after feeding could be attributed to the previous feed, not the current one.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She got fed one pinkie after another on Friday at 1pm, took them both, and was still moving about looking for more.

Does the rule of not handling for 48 hours apply to double pinkies, as it does to the single, or should longer be allowed?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
i always think it's longer than that. have you ever noticed that after handling they are more likely to poo? that's because you massage their intestines as the crawl over your hand.

any additional items entering into the digestive tract can also mean that they have to evacuate their bowels.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
I give my two tiny kings three pinkies at one sitting every 10 days.
I've tried feeding every 5-7 days and they don't always eat.
They are a bit small for fluffs at the minute so I'm giving the three pinkies to cover the fact they only eat every 10days.

My babies crap about 3 days after eating but my adult (3yr old) royal sometimes only craps after a second feed. He has only crapped 5 times since March.
He is eating a 240grm rat every month.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
What i did was feed him one pink, coem back an hour later, an the pinky will be at the stomach and offer the other one, but dont try to make the snaek strike with the second one.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
indigo and cribo snakes, shitting machines.

along with pines, bulls, gophers and false water cobras.

Indigo snakes take it to a different level!! It's more a case of when DONT they sh*t!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts