Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Ive been looking after an infected royal for about 2 to 3 months and she has been getting jabbed at the vets and then i got given jabs for home for a week then after a set for 2 weeks after all the treatment was finished 2 days ago .
Before the last set the vet said she was looking better in mouth and that i have to bring her back this tues coming if i wanted but she should be 95% better after this round.

However i got her out just earlier and she slobbered mucus on my sheets and arm and seems to be poppin and sneezing slightly
My question is after the jabbs does her system need to get the excess out or is the meds just not workin. And her mouth is pink again and not white which was caused by aneemia

I will call vets tomorrow and thanks for your help
Cheers

·
Premium Member
5 snakes, a fair few spiders, 2 elderly horses, a crazy collie and a cat.
2,001 Posts
R.I's can take ages to clear. I've been treating my Dumerils and it's been about 3 1/2 months now. It's getting better all the time, it's just that final little bit now that I feel the minute I turn my back the R.I will sneek up on me again. We are on our 3rd lot of antibiotics and each batch has been different, it's been about 3 1/2 months.

I'd take her back down the vets for advice and probably another course of treatment. I wouldn't wait for it to get worse as she is better than she was.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying sylvi and of course ill keep it up as she is getting better but i guess i diddnt expect it to take so long with all thats been pumped in her system

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Yes I know, it's really disheartening isn't it. There is a part of me that thinks that my Boa will never get rid of it.
I keep reading the nebulise with F10 threads but my vet is against this at the moment - not the nebulising but the F10 bit. I discuss everything with him as there's not much point in having a vet if I just go and do something different to what he advises. But a nebuliser is on the shopping list for a weeks time if I'm having to head back up to see him - he was actually on his way out to get one for me when I arrived for my last visit, but the Boa wasn't as bad as he thought from my description. I already have F10SC as I got some in just in case and use it to disinfect out the viv. I had to get that posted over from the UK as they don't sell it here.

Good luck at the vets! Post up how you got on :)

·
Registered
12,680 Posts
Yes I know, it's really disheartening isn't it. There is a part of me that thinks that my Boa will never get rid of it.

I keep reading the nebulise with F10 threads but my vet is against this at the moment - not the nebulising but the F10 bit. I discuss everything with him as there's not much point in having a vet if I just go and do something different to what he advises. But a nebuliser is on the shopping list for a weeks time if I'm having to head back up to see him - he was actually on his way out to get one for me when I arrived for my last visit, but the Boa wasn't as bad as he thought from my description. I already have F10SC as I got some in just in case and use it to disinfect out the viv. I had to get that posted over from the UK as they don't sell it here.

Good luck at the vets! Post up how you got on :)
For what it's worth , I treated my Royal's RI successfully many years ago simply by nebulising diluted F10 once a day for 30 minutes . It took about 10 days or something .. No vets used .

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
For what it's worth , I treated my Royal's RI successfully many years ago simply by nebulising diluted F10 once a day for 30 minutes . It took about 10 days or something .. No vets used .
I've seen you mention it before :) I have the information stored away in a brain lobe to retrieve when everything else has been tried :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, I'm sorry to hear your snake is unwell, and I'm sorry for butting in on your post, but need to ask a question which is directed at Zincubus, please could you say what ratio you diluted the F10 or was it already diluted, I have F10sc super concentrate so need to know for sure, my royal has RI and will try this along side antibiotics, anything to help her get well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took her to vets and she coughed up bile he gave her anabolic steroids and said there might be blockege in her body somwhere and to come back in a month to see if she will eat once a week

If not then the vet suggests surgery
To find the cause

·
Registered
12,680 Posts
Hi, I'm sorry to hear your snake is unwell, and I'm sorry for butting in on your post, but need to ask a question which is directed at Zincubus, please could you say what ratio you diluted the F10 or was it already diluted, I have F10sc super concentrate so need to know for sure, my royal has RI and will try this along side antibiotics, anything to help her get well.

It's a while ago but I Googled the recommended dilution at the time .
From memory I think it was 1:250 but I will try and find out for sure .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts