Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, instead of going down a whole new path or reptiles again. I'm gonna stick with what I've got. Just gonna extend the collection.

I'm gonna build a rack for leos, fat tails and maybe a couple of other terrestrial geckos.

Anyways, how would you recommend i go about heating?

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If you are going to rack them in contico sort of boxes then you are probably better off heating with a heat strip or muti cables, just remember that heat rises so you will need to keep a close eye on this until all is well, you may need to cut a hole in the backs and replace with a fine metal mesh, just to allow the uv through.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i've got the rack basics sorted, all vented contico's etc. Nicking the design from a mate of mine. But he uses individual heat mats and i cant afford that, was think heat strips.

also for a single leo, what size box would one need on it's own?

cheers

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
for an average sized leo, i would go for an 8'' x 12'' contico, or there abouts, it's the 4th size up box in office world! lol

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers.

I'm gonna be housing all my geckos seperately, except for my current geckos who stopped feeding when i seperated them last time.

·
Registered
641 Posts
My contico rack is heated by heat cable... 8)

It's fairly easy to pick up from somewhere (garden centres, ebay?) but it's a bit tricky fitting it unless you're handy at DIY :roll:

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah all the heating gear is coming from my work (i work in a fish shop) so i pay trade for everything :D. Our supplier does reptile equipment as well which is a bonus lol.

I might go for a heat strip. I've got 2 thermostats I can use and i'm gonna build the rack to have 5 boxes on each level and 3 levels high.

Just a quick question (again). Do i need to provide lighting?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Nope, only reason for having lights would be for your benefit only. As long as you have some natural light entering the room the geckos will be fine 8)

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can anyone list the sizes of the contico boxes for me please. Or a link to a site where i can order them would be even better. Cheers

·
Registered
641 Posts
If you mean conticos proper, there's three main sizes used:

Small 8" x 12"
Medium 10" x 15"
Lardge 15" x 21.5"

You should be able to order them in through any reptile shop 8)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Oh and I wouldn't advise putting an adult leo in a 8" x 12" as someone's mentioned above...

Seeing as an adult can be more than 8" long, it's not exactly gonna be fair on the lizard :?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i kno. I'm gonna use the mediums. As im getting hatchlings when its built.

But once the downstairs hs been decorated. I will be getting some viv stacks instead and breeding the geckos.

Are there any other terrestrial geckos anyone could recommend fr a bit of variety?

Cheers again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts