Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, instead of going down a whole new path or reptiles again. I'm gonna stick with what I've got. Just gonna extend the collection.

I'm gonna build a rack for leos, fat tails and maybe a couple of other terrestrial geckos.

Anyways, how would you recommend i go about heating?

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If you are going to rack them in contico sort of boxes then you are probably better off heating with a heat strip or muti cables, just remember that heat rises so you will need to keep a close eye on this until all is well, you may need to cut a hole in the backs and replace with a fine metal mesh, just to allow the uv through.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i've got the rack basics sorted, all vented contico's etc. Nicking the design from a mate of mine. But he uses individual heat mats and i cant afford that, was think heat strips.

also for a single leo, what size box would one need on it's own?

cheers

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
for an average sized leo, i would go for an 8'' x 12'' contico, or there abouts, it's the 4th size up box in office world! lol

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers.

I'm gonna be housing all my geckos seperately, except for my current geckos who stopped feeding when i seperated them last time.

·
Registered
641 Posts
My contico rack is heated by heat cable... 8)

It's fairly easy to pick up from somewhere (garden centres, ebay?) but it's a bit tricky fitting it unless you're handy at DIY :roll:

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah all the heating gear is coming from my work (i work in a fish shop) so i pay trade for everything :D. Our supplier does reptile equipment as well which is a bonus lol.

I might go for a heat strip. I've got 2 thermostats I can use and i'm gonna build the rack to have 5 boxes on each level and 3 levels high.

Just a quick question (again). Do i need to provide lighting?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can anyone list the sizes of the contico boxes for me please. Or a link to a site where i can order them would be even better. Cheers

·
Registered
641 Posts
Oh and I wouldn't advise putting an adult leo in a 8" x 12" as someone's mentioned above...

Seeing as an adult can be more than 8" long, it's not exactly gonna be fair on the lizard :?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i kno. I'm gonna use the mediums. As im getting hatchlings when its built.

But once the downstairs hs been decorated. I will be getting some viv stacks instead and breeding the geckos.

Are there any other terrestrial geckos anyone could recommend fr a bit of variety?

Cheers again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.