Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why they love this stuff so much?
Ive wondered if its a colour thing or if maybe theres something in it they need or if its just a taste thing, but the moment its put in their food bowls, they seem to target it....

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,626 Posts
Never tried it with mine. I'll have to get some to try because Bob just hates anything that doesn't move! Perhaps this might persuade him that veggies really are very nice.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
the wikipedia page makes for some interesting reading:
"... contains volatile oils similar to those found in plants in the related genus Tanacetum which includes tansy, and is likewise effective in eliminating intestinal worms ..."
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radicchio

(not that you can believe everything written on wikipedia)

Unrelated to the uncooked use, I've had chicory flavor coffee and it was quite revolting!

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
Maybe yours just has a liking to it :) I feed it to my critters as part of a wider diet, nutritionally its relatively mutual on the Ca:p fronts byt a decent source of fibre and water.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, its a type of lettuce, so theres not much to it other than filler (interesting about the possible anti-worms thing thought...not impossible, some foods have been shown to be very effective as natural "boosters" like silkworms and microbial paracites for example...)

Im thinking its the colour that sets them off, vivid purple/red... so probably glows in UV light to them lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.