Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Care sheet: Rainbow and Common Boas
Latin Names: Epicrates Cenchria and Boa constrictor.

Rainbow Boa Origin:
Rainbow Boas originate from South America, in Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina, Peru, Columbia, Guyana
Common Boa Origin
South America
Size:
Rainbow Boas differ in size, ranging from 3.5ft to 7ft average length. Guyanas and Argentinian being the smallest, and Brazilian being the biggest followed by Columbian which average at 5-6ft.
Common Boas are a lot bigger than the Rainbow Boas. The length and the girth are bigger than the Rainbow’s. So 8ft Brazilian Rainbow Boas are no way as near as big as an 8ft Common Boa. Common Boas grow from 8-13ft, some times bigger, rarely.
Enclosure:
Rainbow Boas: Hatchlings can be kept in small contico boxes, or small plastic containers with vents (ventilation). But need a bigger enclosure when they are bigger, the bigger specimens like the Brazilian need a tank around 4ft length by 2ft by 2ft, the bigger the better, and may need a bit of height as they are semi abdoreal. But the smaller specimens can be housed in a 2ft-3ft tank with enough room to roam around.
In the enclosure should be one or two hides, water dish big enough for snake to bath in, a branch, maybe a large sandblasted branch, and also a lot of plants, artificial and/or real plants. A little bit of moss, sphagum moss, will help raise the humidity. You should only keep one snake in each enclosure/cage.
Common Boas: Hatchlings can be kept in contico boxes, or plastic containers, but must have vents. Common Boas will out grow the small containers and will need a BIG enclosure, which will need to be a minimum of 6ftx2ftx2ft, and again, bigger the better. The enclosure will need one or two hides, water dish, and maybe branches and plants, artificial and/or real plants. You should only keep one snake to a enclosure or cage.
Lighting:
Rainbow Boas: Lighting is not need for Rainbow Boas because they are nocturnal, and do not benefit from lighting. You can use lighting to help raise temperatures, you can also use a 40 watt bulb, for you to see the set up, but the snake will not benefit anything from it. ALL LIGHTS SHOULD BE GUARDED! With a light or ceramic guard.
Common Boas: UV lighting is not needed in a Common Boa set-up and no light is needed. But you can always use a light for you to see the set-up, and make it more attractive, by putting a fluorescent light in it, or a 40 watt bulb, ALL LIGHTING MUST BE CAGED/GUARDED OF FROM THE SNAKE!
Heating:
Rainbow Boas: You can use heat mats connected to a habistat, to control the heating. If using a heat mat, you should put it underneath the enclosure on 1/3-1/2 of the bottom of the tank. When the snake is in a bigger enclosure you can use a Ceramic Heater, connected to habistat, and/or heat mat. Also any lighting in the tank will raise temperatures. A temperature in the 70s in the night, and in the 80s in the day. Some specimens like the Columbian prefer warmer temperatures.
Common Boas: Heating for these is more or less the same but they prefer around 90f in a basking spot and as cool as 70-80f in the cool end of the tank. You should previde a 24hour heat source, heat mat and/or no ceramic heater.
Substrate:
Rainbow Boas
&
Common Boas: There are many substrates to choose from. Aspen bedding is a popular choice today, also there are kitchen towel, newspaper, wood chips, coco chips, repti-carpet (astro-turf) and more, make sure what ever you pick it isn’t fine, like fine sand, which can be breathed in or eaten, and cause impaction. Also for Rainbow Boas mosses are used, these are good for the humidity needs, so moss is popular for the rainbow boas.
Humidity:
Rainbow Boas: Humidity needs to be very high for Rainbow Boas. You can get high humidity by, big water bowl, spray the cage with spray bottle, water fall or Exo-Terra fogger, moss, block some vents of (not all, just half or so). You can measure the humidity of the tank by using a Hygrometer (Exo-Terra), these give you your tanks percentage of humidity. Rainbow Boas need a humidity of around high 80s medium 90s

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
my first care sheet :-D

·
Registered
307 Posts
:D thanks for that. I'm thinking of getting a brazilian rainbow after my royal's settled in.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
a very good careguide

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers, its my first one sooo yano, may not be great!, anyway thinking of doing a corn oe/and a royal, care sheet, what ya think?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thanks !

Great care sheet... On the verge of buying R.Boa, so some good advice there......:notworthy:

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
feel free to give me good rep ;)

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you gave me nutral rep :( lol dobt matter.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks for that. So bar humidity and size, rainbow boas are similar in care to corn snakes?

Say yes and Im off to get one this year!: victory:

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
Thanks for that. So bar humidity and size, rainbow boas are similar in care to corn snakes?

Say yes and Im off to get one this year!: victory:
Absolutely not!! No where near! Except that they are both snakeS! :naughty:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Columbian Rainbow Boas

Hi

Thanks for posting this caresheet. I have some questions about Columbian Rainbow Boas in particular, if anybody can help me.

They have been recommended to me over BRBs, for the following reasons.

1. They are smaller. Is the size of 5-7 feet correct for CRBs, as well as for BRBs?
  2. They don't need as high a humidity? Is this correct? What is ideal?
  3. They are less aggressive, not that BRBs are really known for it either! Is this correct too?
Also, do they not need a basking spot in the 90s F, like BCIs and others etc?

Would be very grateful for any advice on CRBs, and the merits/drawbacks of them over BRBs, if any!

Many thanks

Daz

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
crb's were my first rainbows. i do think they are superior to brb's in all but color. but as far as the care sheet goes,it's nice. mine would say: plop them into a 10 gallon tank with a screen lid. put a bunch of leaves down as a sustrate and a few branches. a water bowl big enough for them to get into and changed daily is a must. a jar with a submersible aquarium heater set on 86f will heat and humidify the tank. feed well. cover the top during the day and ventelate at night. that's it.:lol2:

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rainbow boas do not need high temps of 90, and over this temp can kill these boas, I wouldnt say CRB or BRB are agressive, 1%, if they have the right care.All rainbow boas need high humidity, but some people just give them moss, and water bowl of around 60-70%, but 90% is also good, better, so high humidity better! And size CRB average around 5ft, BRBs males 5ft+ females around 6-8ft MAX!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Thanks guys, this helps a lot. It's a bloody palava trying to work out what to get next. I keep changing my mind like the wind! But I am waiting till I get back from me hols in October, so have plenty of time.

Wish I could get them all, but not much space. So maybe will stick with just a couple more over time. Favs at the mo are CRB, BRB, Crawl Cay and IJ Carpets. :smile:

If I get a RB, I will definitely watch the temps (plus lots more research of course)!!! Thanks for helping prevent that catastrophy!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts