Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brazilian rainbow boas are a favourite of mine, so sharing some pics

Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Serpent Python family

This is Cocoa CB18 bought from Reptile Cymru in Cardiff in summer 2019.
Photo supplied by Neil, if I recall.
Cocoa was the very last of the litter at the shop, but I was delighted with her very dark, chocolatey colour and contrasting orange crescents, or ocelli?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From newly birthed litter, the neonates can undergo a massive colour change.
Some improve with age (ugly duckling syndrome), others fade out, and some don’t change much, but it can take a year or two for the colours to settle in. Seeing the parents can often be the best indicator of what a neonate might turn out like.
The contrasting colour in the dorsal saddles of neonates tends to merge in time with the base colour (but not always).

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plant Branch Tree Twig Wood

This pic of Cocoa displays a bit of the ‘white-walling’ that can happen at night time. They change colour, with a lot of pigment receding from the side flanks.
Cocoa was maintained in a glass Komodo viv for about a year. Viable, but easier to maintain in plastic vivs (polypropylene or PVC plastics).

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Her setup included a sonic mist maker for a time, but the aerosol can be problematic, the unit can heat up the water, and they potential pose a risk for encouraging Legionella aerosol 😳

Wood Plant Picture frame Twig Glass

Plant Houseplant Reptile Scaled reptile Wood

Plant Picture frame Wood Organism Reptile

Wood Organism Gas Pet supply Glass

Window Wood Plant Snake Display case

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Snake Reptile Temporary tattoo Scaled reptile Serpent

This little character was originally named ‘Penny’ - Penny-Popeye; owing to the condition causing the eyes to bulge at the back, and stick in at the front, creating a slightly cross-eyed look. Due to my inexperience, I didn’t notice this until after purchasing. I also later concluded Penny was a he, having palpated and discerned hemipenes to be present, this was also verified by two people separately, via probing.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This was a close-up of Felix, a sibling of Penfold. Felix pressed against my skin whilst being handled, and stabbed me with a tooth; I flinched and dropped Felix, but being seated on the floor, it wasn’t a big drop (tho I still felt like a lousy wuss 🤦🏻).
It wasn’t a bite, but a protruding tooth, which even caused the upper lip to stick up sometimes.
Fortunately, it resolved without intervention, after some weeks, possibly after a larger meal.
Managed to get a photo, showing two teeth in same place (I guess one was growing through and displacing the other?)

Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal Serpent

Head Arm Snake Reptile Jaw

Reptile Snake Scaled reptile Serpent Python

Felix was later probed and I was told female. Renamed Felicity, I was delighted, as she had a high red coloration.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Prometheus, also from Reptile Cymru, I bought him Oct 20, he is the most handleable snake and always seems happy out.

Leg Vertebrate Sleeve Comfort Finger
Hand Glove Eye Dress Human body
Eye Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Serpent
Reptile Scaled reptile Comfort Snake Flooring
(He could be a she, they weren't 100% sure on purchase and I haven't had him probed as not interested in breeding)

Trying to get him to stay still for a photo is not always the easiest 😂

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I started looking into keeping rainbow boas I was very taken with the rich chocolatey and high reds. There are some high orange colour variants, but as their crescents/ocelli on the side flanks often have a splash of orange, I like there being a contrast to this.

In 2019 I went a bit BRB crazy and bought ten across the year.
Most were 2019, and one born the previous year 2018. The day I came back with 5 in one day did not go down well with my better half 😳🤫
Anyway, that’s another story.
These are two chocolate BRBs out of a group of four. Should have been two pairs, but they were all since probed as males (Squiggle and Lex).
Both have some chaining, where the saddles join forming almost a zigzag pattern.
Squiggle is to the left (feeling a bit unsure about close contact with another boa) and Lex on top, taking some interest in Squiggle’s scent.

Snake Reptile Organism Scaled reptile Art

1 - 20 of 32 Posts