Reptile Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Had a frustrating and long winded time trying to upgrade some juvenile BRBs into proper vivs, but slowly getting there.
Original plan was to provide Halogen lamp and radiant heat panel as backup/night time heat. But the mounting panel was too small for the RHP (so assume it was designed for AHS style heater), so resorted to DHPs and not yet used the RHPs.
Backed up with Arcadia T5 shadedweller UV tubes and some LED strip lights (more for viewing than anything beneficial).
The hot spot wast way too high, and the cool end was getting below 70oF nighttime, so recipe for neuro over heating or RI / pneumonia………….
Been monitoring the temps with old school mercury max/min thermometers, and a temp gun.
Ambients now more stable.
For the NSR (non stop reptiles) vivs, which are PVC, the ventilation is not ideal. Rear mounted at high level, only. Would be better to have a vent either end, and differing heights, which is something I will consider in future.
The Viv-tek viv on top leaks heat and moisture so have actually covered up most of the rear vents, but the lamp holder also doesn’t fit/cover the heat grille, so additional heat loss there.

Output device Green Purple Television set Gadget

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I believe the green/red/blue LEDs do not come recommended, but they don’t look as bad with the UV light on (and I will make use of what I have until I can make further upgrades).
I initially left the LED lights on after introducing the boas, but as the boas remained busy, I switched them off to allow them to settle. Females seemed to spend longer familiarising with surroundings (perhaps a coincidence). When I finally switched on the LEDs, I also switched on the UV.
It was interesting to observe one female, Emilia, instantly came out when the UV was switched on. Just the head, but enough for some cryptic basking.
Apart from occasional excursions to the garden in summer, she and some of the other boas have not received UV, having been raised in polypropylene containers. It is now easier to cater for this 😁
Light Purple Lighting Pink Wood

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So Emilia was originally bought labelled as a male, but later probed as female. She has been one of the brightest coloured neonates out of all the 16 I have kept. She had very vibrant orange saddles, but I was hoping her under-colour would come through (blood red/purple colour that her mum displayed). Her dad was a high orange, and this seems to be a greater influence on her maturing colours.
This is a fairly recent pic of Emilia.
Marine invertebrates Organism Insect Pollinator Art

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Prometheus, also from Reptile Cymru, I bought him Oct 20, he is the most handleable snake and always seems happy out.

(He could be a she, they weren't 100% sure on purchase and I haven't had him probed as not interested in breeding)

Trying to get him to stay still for a photo is not always the easiest 😂
Beautiful. I think they bred that litter themselves? Never got round to seeing the parents.
I visited and looked at the CB20 litter (COVID restricted entry, with only one customer at a time), and very nearly bought a couple. However, I had already bought 4 or 6 CB20s, I was already in trouble at home (🤭🤫🤷🏻‍♂️), and as they were from high orange parents, I wasn’t sure they would fit my future plans.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Beautiful. I think they bred that litter themselves? Never got round to seeing the parents.
I visited and looked at the CB20 litter (COVID restricted entry, with only one customer at a time), and very nearly bought a couple. However, I had already bought 4 or 6 CB20s, I was already in trouble at home (🤭🤫🤷🏻‍♂️), and as they were from high orange parents, I wasn’t sure they would fit my future plans.
Thanks ☺☺. Exactly, I remember them saying that they had both the parents. Lucky for me that you didn't buy them as I think they only had the two left when I bought mine 🤭 so I would have missed out 🙈. I'm very grateful to Reptile Cymru as, I found when researching they seem to get a lot of bad press (BRBs not R.C) but R.C went through everything and he is probably my favourite in my collection.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You certainly need to take care with neonates as they can dehydrate and go down hill quickly, but otherwise I find them a great species to keep, and pretty straight forward.

I would definitely endorse Reptile Cymru 😁 Had some really good chats with Neil, I really like their care and attention. I wish I was closer as I‘ve only visited twice, maybe 3 times.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts