Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66615 Posts

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a few random threads running though this forum ranging from just "random chat" to "the fatties thread" and "the thinnies thread" where like minded people stay regularly in touch. Being a 'forum fattie' I've been in the fatties thread since it started and it turned into just a few like minded people 'talking' to each other, often about things far removed from diets and the like!

So I thought if it works for fatties, then it could work for catties!!

There are "post your cat pictures" threads, but no "just talk about your cats or anything else cat connected" threads, so I've decided to start one. Let's see if it takes off or not!!

So those of us who are ailuraphiles and regularly contribute to anything that involves cats in this forum and we all know each other now, let's join together and chat!!!

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Hi,

We have two cats both toms 'charlie' [ginger] and 'tilly' [white tabby] i think,i am no expert on cats as they are really my OH but i think you may have read my thread cattery..

Anyway just saw the thread and thought i would post.

I don't have any pics as yet either,so a bit useless really LOL.

John

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I read your thread on cattery - you liked the Burmese didn't you!

Just say what you want and post what you want that's the idea. If the thread takes off you'll find a few will stick with it (in my experience) and we'll just end up as forum friends talking about each other and our cats.

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
this is my new kitten, my girlfreind put a deposit down the other night and we went to have another look at her tonight shes adorable, shes 4 weeks old and we are picking her up in 3 or 4 weeks.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
At the moment i've just got Libby my 16.5 week old moggy. Had cats my whole life but I suppose she's the first one that is solely my responsibility from day one. I.e. I recently had to have sophie my 17 year old girl put to sleep. I'd had her from three weeks old, but at the time I was only a tot myself. So although she was mine she wasn't solely mine, if that makes any sense. I suppose that's why I panic with everything to do with Libby. Want her brought up well lol.

I can honestly say though i've never owned such a stupidly affectionate cat...well when she's in the mood. She goes from one extreme to the other. She's either wanting cuddles, and will sleep in the most random positions sprawled over you, or she just wants to attack everything.

I would love another cat at some point, as I loved seeing the way Sophie, harriet & meg interacted (sisters). Even if it was just meg whacking them around the head for eating all their food and not giving her any:roll: ...cats you've got to love em.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Yes I read your thread on cattery - you liked the Burmese didn't you!

Just say what you want and post what you want that's the idea. If the thread takes off you'll find a few will stick with it (in my experience) and we'll just end up as forum friends talking about each other and our cats.
Yes,i think the burmese are stunning.

I really like the bengals also..

John

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Yes,i think the burmese are stunning.

I really like the bengals also..

John
Aye I would love a snow spotted/rosetted bengal female. However, off reading around they sound like they do better alone, so if we did get a second cat probably not a good choice :? suppose every cat is different though.

Any suggestions for cats that (generally) can do well with others?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Aye I would love a snow spotted/rosetted bengal female. However, off reading around they sound like they do better alone, so if we did get a second cat probably not a good choice :? suppose every cat is different though.

I have never really gone out to buy a cat,one of ares has been here forever LOL, and the other was a rescue.

My OH likes the snow spotted bengals and i have to agree with her.

If we did not have two already,no doubt we would have one of them.

John

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Some breeds of cat are much more sociable than others. In my own experience Siamese and Orientals like Siamese and Orientals, but don't much care for other breeds!! My Somalis are not particularly sociable with each other, but are very people oriented. If I went into my bedroom now and all 5 were on my bed, none of the Somalis would be touching! The only cat who will be touching another will be the Siamese, who will be almost lying on top of Harry (who's the soft touch of the family) and that's cos she sees him as her own personal animated hot water bottle!! It was the same when we had 10. The siamese and orientals would all be lying in a pile together and the somalis would all be lying separately!!

Here's a perfect example. Soft hearted Aby lying on the bean bag minding his own business - along comes 2 Siamese and an Oriental looking for a hot water bottle!! Luna (by then the only Siamese/oriental in the house) was devastated when he died but quickly worked out who was the next 'daftest' cat in the house - Enter Harry!! God knows what she'll do when we lose him, cos the other 3 won't tolerate her!!

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
Eileen I have a photo of my Siamese all heaped up in a furry bed, I will see if Steve can scan it in. Its so much like yours. I think this si a great thread to start:2thumb:

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Count me in. It'll be good to have other cat-mad peeps to tell when my two have done something daft, instead of boring the OH with it :lol2:

Mine are rescue girls, and about 8 now. I'll post a pic when I find a good one.

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well we all talk together anyway on any cat thread that comes up, so why can't we all just chat about anything?

I know loads of people with Siamese and Orientals that are always piled in a heap like that - you'd NEVER see that with my Somalis - that's for sure!!!

Yes, the pictures in and any stories or things that your cats get up to and anything else really. Whatever!!!

And as much as it pains me to leave you :whistling2: I'm off to my bed cos I'm cream crackered!!

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
Hey fellow cat lovers!

I have 2 Siamese cats! Zander is a 2 year old cream point boy. Clio is a Chocolate tortie point girl, Zander's little sister.

Here is a pic of them settling down to watch telly with my Jack Russell Terrier Joe & my other half!

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
count me in!!!
I have had a few cats, including (who are now dead, r.i.p) candy, baldrick, abbott. I now have, ginger and zingi, both ginger toms :)
i have a thing for gingers!! :)
tommorrow i have a meetigni with a fostering (wood green) kittens, i hope that goes through, i will update when i have had my meeting :)

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Morning cat lovers! Gina, I thought it wouldn't be long before you joined us!

I'm off to work in a minute so keep the chat coming. I normally work on Fridays at a wildlife care centre, but today I'm looking after wildlife of a different sort - 2 children aged 1½ and 3½! I usually look after them every Tuesday, but this week the other childminder is moving house and so I've had them for 3 days! That's why I was cream crackered last night!!

And how did I meet their mother? Well I sold her a kitten 15 years ago from Leyla's first litter and we've been friends ever since!! She bought the sorrel girl on the far right - Mitzi!!

By the way everyone, if this thread is going to work why don't those of you (like me) whose user name isn't their actually name tell us what your name is so we know who we're talking to! As you can see from my signature I'm Eileen!

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
People call me Shell which is short for Michelle. Got my first cat at 18 years old as parents wouldnt let me have one and it became an obsession.I kept getting told when you have your own house you can have what you want so I did just that :lol2:

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
My cats still haven't grown! Since I posted the thread worrying about their weight I've been monitoring their size and they just aren't growing. I think they have peaked, they are almost a year old and are the size of everyone elses 6 month kittens (except for feeling like a brick!) I am calling them the mini-cats now.

They used to sit on each other as kittens but to be honest they will tolerate an occasional joint wash now but mostly if one tries to come up to the other one's sleeping spot she gets whacked on the head with a paw.

Jack & Sparrow are my first personal cats but I lived with 5 when I was at my mums, she has Kitty (18), Holly (8), Damson (10), Pixie (15) & Taz (12) - all moggy strays we took pity on. She put her foot down a few years back at 5 though so as not to look like the mad cat lady.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

my baby ragdoll Beau, he's a bit bigger now, about 5 months old, also have a long haired black moggy, who's about 6 years, don't see her much, she's a bit of a loner and sleeps in the airing cupboard all day.

we've always had cats, neither my mum nor me could not have at least one in the house

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
People call me Shell which is short for Michelle. Got my first cat at 18 years old as parents wouldnt let me have one and it became an obsession.I kept getting told when you have your own house you can have what you want so I did just that :lol2:
You know Shell the similarities between us is amazing! My mother wouldn't let me have anything when I lived at home. I desperately wanted a dog, but she wouldn't let me and she told me exactly the same. Strangely enough she finally capitulated when I was 18!! So I was 18 when I got my first dog. When I married and left home I got my first Afghan and then when I bought my second Afghan, giving me 3 dogs, together with a budgie, a hamster and a pair of breeding gerbils, she said "Don't you think you've got enough, why would you want more?" and I said "Cos you told me I could!" She couldn't answer that one! :lol2:

1 - 20 of 66615 Posts