Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, got cat one, dog one(?), Chicken one.

About time we had a good Equine Thread for us horsey people.

I am the proud 'mum' to Spooky, aka Spookshow Baby.
She is a Welsh Section C, 12.2hh. Currently very overweight due to having been negleted while out on loan with an apparent friend who is qualified in Equine Management! (Not to mention everything else, but most who have read those threads will know the stress I went through and how urgently we took her back home.

We got Spooky in Jan 2006 at 19 months old. I went to see her at the end of November, and as it was a friend she agreed to keep her with deposit until I found a suitable yard as the one I had booked was gazumped! lol
She turned 6 years old in May this year and is seriously a much adored and loved member of the family.
Tomorrow she is going into a stable for a week. Even on rough grazing with exercise, she seems to have gained a bit more weight. So while inside I will be able to control her feeding better. She has also been a tad foot sore still, but this is down to her feet being over grown when we got her back, and her also having done nothing for so long, so even gentle stuff is a strain at the mo but we will get there. Throw enough money and love and dedication to an issue and it will come right, but that is only because we got her back in time. Another couple of weeks and I think she would have been in a seriously ill state. (Native pony, left out on lush pasture! :censor: )
We have even ordered her new things lol New purple head collar and lead rope, new buckets, New Haynets. And I have now gotten my leather out of the attic to start making fancy dress items.
I am currently making a leather Bridle in which the Browband will have a Latex Unicorn on. You won't see the brow band or the unicorn attached to it under her think long forelock! lol I may get brave one day and start collecting white feathers lol and make her a set of wings. (Be a good bombproof training thing aswell! lol)

I am waiting for a mate of my sisters to get back to me with prices aswell. She is a saddle maker and fitter. Wanted to know what her price would be to make me a saddle like a western but not as bulky. Prob a bit more Auzzy Stock saddle I think lol But how much it would be if I provided all the leather, since as I actualy have saddle leathers and various other hides in various shades of browns, beiges, greens and black. Would really like a proper custom fit saddle for both myself and spooky, that is good for us both because of my Degenerative Disc Diease and her being a chucky girl lol

I also have become extremly good at rug fixing. Since Spooky is kept at a Horse and Pony Shelter, I have fixing rugs to help them save on costs.
She was suprised at how good a job I had done on her fave rug which she thought was a gonner, then even more shocked when she was told I had done it by hand! lol She really thought it was done by machine lol
It was only when I said I didn't have a working sewing machine, that she asked 'How did you fix Saracen's Rug then?'

Soon as we can afford to, we will be getting a couple of new stables put up at the farm. Currently she has a tempt stable. It ok, but I'm a picky sod lol
I still want to keep her back at home tho during winter when she wouldn't be out at grazing, and early spring as she is a greedy pony.
I checked it out with DEFRA and the welfare section of BHS. Being totally honest about everything, including how big my garden is, and they were happy with me doing so aslong as right sized stable was in place for her and she was exercised daily. Will take more time to get a couple of stables up here as we need to get full drainage down the bottom of the garden, then hard standing and more concrete lol Then a sand paddock on the front.

She is gonna have to stay in now for this first week, with an hour in the bare paddock. Then she will be staying in at evenings/night/early morning and have limited grazing for a few hours each day. I would put a grazing muzzle on her, but being as she is very greedy, I worry that she would do herself an injury trying to get it off. Something that the lady at BHS welfare agreed with me on which was nice as I thought I was being soft.

So, currently, she is on a small amount of soaked hay (to reduce the sugar content) in a doubled up small hole haynet which means she can't pig out on it in one go (2 haynets, one inside the other), handfull of Dengie hi fi lite with Lamineze, garlic powder, extra virgin olive oil 2 times a day. Hubby was shocked when I showed him how much she is to have. 'God! The Spaniel eats more than she does!'
'Arh but hun, the spaniel eats niether grass nor hay all day to fill in!'
But she has also always been an extremly good doer where food is concerned.

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Discuss. Costs.
Cost 1.
Price of hay and straw.

I'm 33 and I remember when hay was £1 a bale! and Straw was 75p!!!!!!!!

Now. Cheapest good quality stuff is
£5.30 a bale on hay.
£3.70 a bale on straw.

I'm in Middleton in Manchester. Anyone knows anywhere cheaper in teh manchester area, please let us know as the shelter needs to stock up for winter. Hayledge Rounds aswell if anyone knows a good supply at decent price.

What area are you in and what prices are you currently paying?

Cost 2.
Farrier.
I don't do shoes so currently don't know the current costs. But a Full trim is £20 (so £5 a foot)

What area are you in, and how much do you pay?

Cost 3.
Stabling or Grazing

I pay £15 a week. Grazing and stable if needed. No hay or extras on that. Just field and Stable. But good company and it's a Pony Shelter and I am the only person who has ever been allowed to keep there own pony there!
So I make a good effort by helping out grooming the ponies and fixing rugs and other tasks and bits and ragworting.

Local riding school is £80 a calender month, which includes turnout, morning feed put in for you, use of indoor and outdoor floodlit arena.
Again, hayledge is extra at £1 a bag. Tho you can buy your own bales.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am so glad that you got her back and that shes okay, shes the one that had the scan last week if im right?? She is beautiful though. :flrt:

I only have the 1 horse at the moment, a 10 week old colt called archie. Due to not having enough time/leaving the riding school i worked at i had to give the others up. But i still see them regularly and mum still has her cob at the same yard. I chose to keep them at the riding school that they have been at for the last 10 years rather than selling them elsewhere as they are so happy and settled. It seemed silly to uproot them really!

It also means i can focus on archie who is a star! he went to his first show on the first of august where they came fith in the mare and foal class! He might not have been the most fancy one there but he was certainly the best behaved out of all of them!!

Will stick some pics up when i eventually get them off my phone!

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
ahh well as you know I don't have a horse at mo, but I get my horsey fix down at the yard with cuddles from them all :flrt: Yesterday was from a pure white boy who stands at 16.3 and fell asleep with his head on my shoulder( eyes closed bottom lip hanging asleep) as I was leaning against fence waiting for rich who was on tractor he was gorgoeus totally wasted with his owner, who turned up for ten mins fed him and left :(

I pay £1 for a bale of straw and £1.50 for a bale of hay, expecting it to go up this year though as grass has been crap really sparse no good at all, one farmer friend is wondering if he will get enough this year just to feed his cows over winter!

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
I unfortunately don't have a horse but I can share plenty of photos and stories!!
I used to have a show pony called Henry when I was about 6, he was about 11hh and the cutest little thing, but obviously at that age I thought he was huge. We only had him for about a year before he got laminitis and we had to sell him as my gran didn't have the time to care for him, as she had her own horse to look after. I'm not sure how old Henry was at the time, but I actually saw him at a yard in Basingstoke called Wellington Riding Centre about 3 and a half years ago, he was tiny weeny and was so incredibly arthritic bless him. I sat with him in his stable for a while and talked to him about when we used to ride around in the field on a lead rope.
I haven't seen him since but he was dreadfully old, I would imagine he will have passed on now. He looked so fragile when he was out in the field with all the other ponies.

I went to Merrist Wood college and did a 2 year course on Equine Studies, and fell in love with a horse called Storm. He was abour 15.2hh and a thoroughbred, again he was arthritic and buted up to the eyeballs. Lots of people didn't like riding him cos he tended to prefer extended trot to canter, so people would get frustrated with him :lol2: but when I rode him, of course he was good as gold and cantered when I asked him and all sorts, he even did some fancy dressage moves which was nice, I had no idea how I was asking him to do it but he did it anyway! I like to think he enjoyed my company as much as I enjoyed his, he was so affectionate. I will always remember a time when I went to collect him from the field, I called his name and he came cantering over neighing his little socks off :flrt:I'm sure a lot of people get that with their horses but I was overjoyed! I haven't seen him since I left college 3 years ago and I have no idea where he is, the last I heard was that he was leaving the college as his arthritis was giving him some trouble, and he was going to become a companion to another horse somewhere in Somerset or somewhere in that direction.

I have looooads more stories but I'm going on a bit now :lol2:

·
Registered
226 Posts
OMG Storm!! He was such a super little horse!! Did you ever have anything to do with Fonze?? He was my fav :flrt:

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
OMG Storm!! He was such a super little horse!! Did you ever have anything to do with Fonze?? He was my fav :flrt:
Does this answer your question?

:lol2: I'm pretty sure that was the one and only time I ever rode The Fonz, I was far too obsessed with Storm to bother with any of the other horses haha. You must have been there at the same time as me!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm lucky enough to have good friends with horses and ponies, who involve me in their care and have brought me on from a lump of quivering jelly terrified re-learning novice to intermediate level as a rider. I was just about competent in walk and trot and starting to canter when an accident at work wrecked my back.
Nerve damage affecting my left leg, at one point I didn't know if I'd walk properly again and I wasn't allowed to ride in case of further damage. After a year of physio and the decision I wouldn't have surgery I ended up with a pain consultant who actually understood when I told him that not riding was having the biggest impact on my well-being. I was back at work, signed off from physio and still limping badly when I was tired. So he agreed starting to ride again in controlled stages would be ok.
So this is when my partnership with Merlin really took off. Equilates exercises, lunging with him being so steady and compensating for my wonky seat, my friend commited to weekly sessions, and my balance came back, my back is stronger and my leg is almost normal. It's taken almost 3 years to get me to independence out hacking again, my canter is still a bit wonky if my leg spasms but I had a goal to work for, next month I'm going on a riding holiday in Spain, in the Sierra Tejada.
Without my friends, and without Merlin, I'd never have afforded the hours of coaching and time in the saddle it's taken to get this far. This is Merlin:2thumb:

We hack out through woodland, with challenging slopes and narrow trails, jump small obstacles like fallen trees, canter through open areas without (touch wood!) any mishaps, mainly because Merlin will slow and stop if I'm losing my balance. I've lost my stirrups at canter, ended up on his neck, ridden almost cheyenne style down his sides under low branches, and he takes it all in his stride until I'm steady again. He'll never win prizes for his conformation, we'll never jump at Badminton, but this cob is the light of my life.

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
I'm lucky enough to have good friends with horses and ponies, who involve me in their care and have brought me on from a lump of quivering jelly terrified re-learning novice to intermediate level as a rider. I was just about competent in walk and trot and starting to canter when an accident at work wrecked my back.
Nerve damage affecting my left leg, at one point I didn't know if I'd walk properly again and I wasn't allowed to ride in case of further damage. After a year of physio and the decision I wouldn't have surgery I ended up with a pain consultant who actually understood when I told him that not riding was having the biggest impact on my well-being. I was back at work, signed off from physio and still limping badly when I was tired. So he agreed starting to ride again in controlled stages would be ok.
So this is when my partnership with Merlin really took off. Equilates exercises, lunging with him being so steady and compensating for my wonky seat, my friend commited to weekly sessions, and my balance came back, my back is stronger and my leg is almost normal. It's taken almost 3 years to get me to independence out hacking again, my canter is still a bit wonky if my leg spasms but I had a goal to work for, next month I'm going on a riding holiday in Spain, in the Sierra Tejada.
Without my friends, and without Merlin, I'd never have afforded the hours of coaching and time in the saddle it's taken to get this far. This is Merlin:2thumb:
We hack out through woodland, with challenging slopes and narrow trails, jump small obstacles like fallen trees, canter through open areas without (touch wood!) any mishaps, mainly because Merlin will slow and stop if I'm losing my balance. I've lost my stirrups at canter, ended up on his neck, ridden almost cheyenne style down his sides under low branches, and he takes it all in his stride until I'm steady again. He'll never win prizes for his conformation, we'll never jump at Badminton, but this cob is the light of my life.
What a lovely team you make, cobs are great :2thumb: Well done you for getting back in the saddle too! Lucky you going on a riding holiday to Spain too, you'll never forget it, I was lucky enough to go for a weeks holiday with my Mum back in 2005 to a place called Los Alamos, it was just amazing. Hopefully I'll get to go back one day!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
As well as my partnership with Merlin, I'm also involved in bringing up some very special babies. Two welsh pony x andalusian fillies who live in my best friend's herd, now 2 years old and being brought up using natural horsemanship. Here's Coconuts with her daughter Luna

Loulou with her daughter Lola

Joey the cob

And the girls now they are 2 year olds

This year the girls are starting to lead up nicely, over tarps and cavaletti, and have both had saddles on with no fuss at all. I'm sure backing them next year will be a whole world of fun!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
What a lovely team you make, cobs are great :2thumb: Well done you for getting back in the saddle too! Lucky you going on a riding holiday to Spain too, you'll never forget it, I was lucky enough to go for a weeks holiday with my Mum back in 2005 to a place called Los Alamos, it was just amazing. Hopefully I'll get to go back one day!
Thanks Manda! I'd rode as a child and got bolted with on a hunter, so I'd vowed never to ride again until my friends restarted me @ 6 years ago. So the first times they could only get me on Nuts, the tiny welsh pony, and I'd still be nervous as hell!
Major milestones last month, Merlin has always looked after me but decided to bolt when we were cantering and I not only sat him at a full--out gallop but pulled him up safely. He did it the next time out too, and I stopped him quicker, and since then no more bolting but my fear of being bolted with has gone. Also my first time of being thrown, by Joey, resulting in torn ligaments in my ankle, which would have been worse if I hadn't slipped my stirrups and vaulted off as he threw my over a dropped shoulder! I didn't want to be bolted with or thrown but learning how to cope with mishaps without panicking is another step forwards for me!

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
Thanks Manda! I'd rode as a child and got bolted with on a hunter, so I'd vowed never to ride again until my friends restarted me @ 6 years ago. So the first times they could only get me on Nuts, the tiny welsh pony, and I'd still be nervous as hell!
Major milestones last month, Merlin has always looked after me but decided to bolt when we were cantering and I not only sat him at a full--out gallop but pulled him up safely. He did it the next time out too, and I stopped him quicker, and since then no more bolting but my fear of being bolted with has gone. Also my first time of being thrown, by Joey, resulting in torn ligaments in my ankle, which would have been worse if I hadn't slipped my stirrups and vaulted off as he threw my over a dropped shoulder! I didn't want to be bolted with or thrown but learning how to cope with mishaps without panicking is another step forwards for me!
Yeouch! That looks rather painful!! At least you're still out there doing it and it hasn't put you off :) I've been thrown off and fallen off many a time, but luckily have never had any sort of injury from it, not even a sprain. A few bruises here and there and that's about it! I was thrown face first into a fallen tree when I was about 12 or 13 and only had a scrape on my jaw, and have been smashed in the neck with a low branch in fully fledged gallop which was nice :lol2: I've got a video of me being bolted with on facebook actually, unfortunately the film missed the bit where the horse stopped dead in front of a 4 and a half foot fence and I fell off! I thought she was going to jump it but I didn't know whether to prepare to jump or stop, so I went for jump haha. All fun and games, these horses!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The throw was 6 weeks ago, so it's almost healed, just swelling up a bit after exercise. The vault and stop would have been perfect if I hadn't turned my ankle over, I was still quite proud of landing on my feet instead of flying off at random! I'm not getting back on Joey until after my holiday though, just in case he does it again. I'd been schooling him for @ 3/4 of an hour when he tanked off, he's been on a serious reschooling program since then because he tried to do the same to my friend's daughter. I've been ground-working him playing parelli games to get him more respectful of me again before I'm getting back in the hot seat!

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
The throw was 6 weeks ago, so it's almost healed, just swelling up a bit after exercise. The vault and stop would have been perfect if I hadn't turned my ankle over, I was still quite proud of landing on my feet instead of flying off at random! I'm not getting back on Joey until after my holiday though, just in case he does it again. I'd been schooling him for @ 3/4 of an hour when he tanked off, he's been on a serious reschooling program since then because he tried to do the same to my friend's daughter. I've been ground-working him playing parelli games to get him more respectful of me again before I'm getting back in the hot seat!
Good idea, he sounds like a bit of a handful! I sometimes find that bigger more powerful horses can be quite intimidating, especially if I've never ridden it before, I'm much more comfortable on something between 15.2-16.2. My boyfriend rides a 16h+ Belgian draft called Ed, to say he is built like a tank is an understatement!
Here's a couple of photos of the beast, the pics just don't to him justice to how massive he is, bearing in mind the rider is 6ft6"!

He must be one of the safest horses I've ever ridden, he is such a good boy. I first rode him when he was only 3 or 4, and he was an absolute star, he gallops his heart out on hacks and stops when you want, his only flaw is that he still thinks he's in europe and tries to walk on the wrong side of the road :lol2:

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Ed is stunning :flrt::flrt:

here's some pics of horses that have had the honour of knowing/riding

Heidi- 13hh Fjord

Billy- 12.2 Welsh Gelding

Lucky- 14h Cob

Buller the muddest Fjord around lol

Billy the big horse on little legs

from front to back Hiedi, girda and blacks my old horse at the back she was a 15.2 friesean x

Fergus 17.2 ID who sadly has passed away now

Charlie the then yearling TB who will be about 6 now:gasp:

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
Ed is stunning :flrt::flrt:

here's some pics of horses that have had the honour of knowing/riding

Heidi- 13hh Fjord

Billy- 12.2 Welsh Gelding

Lucky- 14h Cob

Buller the muddest Fjord around lol

Billy the big horse on little legs

from front to back Hiedi, girda and blacks my old horse at the back she was a 15.2 friesean x

Fergus 17.2 ID who sadly has passed away now

Charlie the then yearling TB who will be about 6 now:gasp:
Too many pretty ponies to look at!! :mf_dribble: The Fjords are beautiful, I love their manes! Lucky is a very handsome boy/girl too, I've taken a real shine to skewbalds lately, I love ones that have more brown than white.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Lovely to see all the horses and ponies and share their stories! I've got work colleagues who think I'm crazy for spending my spare time flinging horse-poop around, but as they tend to be the same people who don't 'get' my snakes etc being part of me I ignore them and enjoy my life!

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
Lovely to see all the horses and ponies and share their stories! I've got work colleagues who think I'm crazy for spending my spare time flinging horse-poop around, but as they tend to be the same people who don't 'get' my snakes etc being part of me I ignore them and enjoy my life!
Too right, so you should!! Looking after horses is hard work but it's rewarding all the same, I'd love to have my own horses one day :flrt: when I win the lottery!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Finally i have a thread i can play with!

I am BIG into my welshies, always loved them, and have finally bitten the bullet and bought welshies and my own horses. I have always loaned, been riding since i was 4, but after a bad loaning experience last year i vowed never to loan again. Now i own a welsh section D filly. (Sire Danaway Samson, Dam Foryd royal peach) I also own a Section A colt (to be gelded Friday, Sire: Llanfilo Master prophet, Dam: Llanfilo Clara, for those who are into welshies!) Both are Yearlings.

Here are some pics of my guys!

Jezabel (Section D):

Felix (Section A):

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
Finally i have a thread i can play with!

I am BIG into my welshies, always loved them, and have finally bitten the bullet and bought welshies and my own horses. I have always loaned, been riding since i was 4, but after a bad loaning experience last year i vowed never to loan again. Now i own a welsh section D filly. (Sire Danaway Samson, Dam Foryd royal peach) I also own a Section A colt (to be gelded Friday, Sire: Llanfilo Master prophet, Dam: Llanfilo Clara, for those who are into welshies!) Both are Yearlings.

Here are some pics of my guys!

Jezabel (Section D):

Felix (Section A):

Beautiful! Jezabel has a lovely head, and Felix! OMG he's so cute! Just want to give him a big hug!

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.