Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there
i have just got a pair of horsefield tortoise off a friend. the male (4 and half inch) is trying to mate but the female (four inch) doesn't want to know (typical female lol) i just wondered how long will he keep trying because as soon as she moves he's there bobbing his head and trying to bite her. and will she get depressed as its been going on for a few weeks now.and also can any one suggest a good diet for these tortoise please. hope you can help thank you paul :(

·
Registered
520 Posts
a 1:1 ratio isnt good as the male will constantly harass the female. you should have at least 2 females to 1 male to ease the pressure! if you do decide to get another please get one from a breeder and not a petshop,also a period of up to 6 months quarantine may be needed! make sure the female has lots of hiding places to get away from the male. what is their set up like??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi thanks for the help. they are in a small vivarium at the moment which i plan to change by the end of the week to a three to four foot bye two foot enclosure if that is the right word any idea on substrate would be a help as i only got these tortoise on wednesday thanks paul

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
The small area is going to be half the problem with horsfields - they need lots of space and very deep substrate as they are a burrowing species. Horsfields are very aggressive in small spaces but lovely when kept outdoors in larger areas where they can hide for a large part of the day as they do in nature. Did you know that in nature they only eat for around three months of the year and spend a large part of their time underground? You need to make your enclosure quite high as they will climb out easily especially if you have corners. As Kerry says you should not keep one male and one female as the stress to her is very high :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi thanks for advice the tortoise will be going out side in the summer. but could any body tell me where to get information on hibernation for next year please and where to hibernate thanks paul

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
I'd suggest nipping to your local pet shops or book shop (waterstones would be a good bet as would any pet shop that sells reptile/tortoise) and getting a copy of a decent book on keeping these animals.

All this research should have been done before buying, you have a bit of catching up to do and i'd recommend doing it quickly to prevent stress to your them especially the female.

A mixture of complete tortoise food and fresh veg/fruit is normally good assuming they will eat tortoise complete food.

·
Registered
520 Posts
All this research should have been done before buying, you have a bit of catching up to do and i'd recommend doing it quickly to prevent stress to your them especially the female.

A mixture of complete tortoise food and fresh veg/fruit is normally good assuming they will eat tortoise complete food.

I dont think its a good idea to sell someone to go and research an animal when you clearly have no idea about its welfare yourself. Of course research should be done but advising someone to feed 'complete tortoise food' and 'fruit/veg' is way off the mark,no tortoise should be fed pellets, they are high in protien and cause shell deformities,a tortoise diet should consist of natural weeds and flowers,no fruit or veg either!

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
**I'd suggest nipping to your local pet shops or book shop (waterstones would be a good bet as would any pet shop that sells reptile/tortoise) and getting a copy of a decent book on keeping these animals.**

this is probably the worst place to research hibernation. I would like to bet that most advice would suggest taking torty out of the garden in October and putting him in a box of leaves or straw and placing him in the shed until spring. Result - one dead tortoise :(
As for complete tortoise food - see here Tortoise Trust Web - Feeding your tortoise again - dead tortoise

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi there thank you very much for the advice (wizzasmum) and (kerrypudge) very helpful people. And please may i say in my own defence i searched the internet for 3 or 4 days trying to get information on how to care for the tortoise as i bought them off a friend to help them (tortoise) out as i dont think they were being cared for properly and i went straight to my local library for some books and found they only had one and it didnt tell you very much and there were that many sites on the internet that gave one piece of advice to one person with a problemed animal and different advice to somebody else with the same problem so i thought that it would not be advisable to ask for advice. and then i found this site which in my oppinion gives honest advice and are helpful if they can be and they do not comment on things that they dont know anything about
thank you paul

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
The thing to remember when caring for any exotic animal is to ask yourself whta that animals would do/get in the wild. When looking for care advice always look at sites which have been put together following actual research on that animals behaviour, feeding etc in the wild. Large organisations such as the Tortoise Trust will always give excellent info based on research and giving scientific explanations as backup.
Hope this helps ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.