Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just wondering if people have thoughts on cohabitation of Rankings? Some sources suggest they are 'social' and do better in 1.1 or 0.2, others that they should be kept individually.

Also, some suggest cohabitation can lead bullying, but is that Something which happens once in a blue moon or something which is fairly likely?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Rankins do seem to be far more accepting of co-habitation and less prone to many of the negative affects it can have.

I would still only have one male in a single vivarium or just females (just females is probably the best way and will avoid the risk of the maleharrassing the females and breeding/over breeding them)

2,133 Posts
Keeping animals together is absolutely possible but one must be extremely vigilant at all times and be prepared to separate if needs be. This means having another vivarium set up just incase. Some things to consider:

As previously mentioned, males can oftern be relentless in their advances towards females.

Never keep two males together, they may live happily for many months only for one to turn on the other.

Animals must be of a similar size - predation from the larger individual on the smaller one although rare, has been observed.

In dragon society, the higher up you are the more dominant you are so ensure there is suitable basking areas for all animals to achieve optimum temperatures.

Ensure suitable resting areas for all individuals.

Ensure all animals are receiving sufficent food.

Ensure there is no bullying - which can manifest itself by the less dominant individual always being flat against the ground and a very dull colour.

I am sure there are more considerations but it is early in the morning and I have not had a coffee yet!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

It sounds to me like the safer option is to keep a single animal? Will it impact negatively on a Rankin to keep it alone?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts