Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi well bitten by the bug and now got a Rankins Dragon.found out a little bout them would love to know more.Feeding habitat etc.Should they be treated like a smaller Bearded>Also would like to post some pics of this and my juve Water Dragon,how?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hiya,

The viv should have a cool and hot end of the viv. I would say that 95f-110f(MAX AND THATS AT A PUSH) and a cool end of about 80f-85f. I also only ever use a UVb Tube of 8.0 or higher but some will use lower but I do recommend it.

A good variation of crickets (Gutloaded), morio mealworms, locusts (Gutloaded) and waxworms. Make sure that you dust your live food with calcium dust once a week.

beardies like to climb so a few LOW branches should do him fine also perhaps a low raised basking area would go well.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheer: victory:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes thanks got all that have read as much as i can from books etc.Its nice to have real peoples opinions.Got 2 nice setups going i hope,different styles,desert dry for Rankins,rainforest etc for Water Dragon.Is there a way to sex the Rankins visually.Dont want to go for probe!!How about greens for the Rankin was told they eat cabbage carrot etc,fruit any good for them.Love to have peoples advice

·
Registered
477 Posts
Nice pictures :D

Yeah most greens and most vegetables and fruit. DO NOT FEED AVOCADO TO YOUR BEARDIE OR OTHER LIZARDS THOUGH. Avocado is poisonous to lizards and birds. I would suggest that you research anything before you give your beardie it to eat. Mine all love dandelion and nesturtium leaves.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hiya,

The viv should have a cool and hot end of the viv. I would say that 95f-110f(MAX AND THATS AT A PUSH) and a cool end of about 80f-85f. I also only ever use a UVb Tube of 8.0 or higher but some will use lower but I do recommend it.

A good variation of crickets (Gutloaded), morio mealworms, locusts (Gutloaded) and waxworms. Make sure that you dust your live food with calcium dust once a week.

beardies like to climb so a few LOW branches should do him fine also perhaps a low raised basking area would go well.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheer: victory:
To be more specific i'd go for a repti-glo 8, repti-sun 5, repti-glo 10 and then repti-sun 10, in that order - with the repti-sun 10 producing most UVB and UVA.

For a juvenile id get temps 105-110, and for an adult lower them by 5 degrees. I'd also avoid mealworms as they have a hard chitin which can not be easily digested, and offer poor nutritional value. Stick to crickets / roaches / silkworms as a staple, and locusts / waxworms as treats.

I'd recommend spring (collard) greens and mustard greens as staple greens also, which should be offered every day. You can offer small amounts of kale, bok choi, and other leafy greens and the occasional fruit as treats.

·
Registered
477 Posts
To be more specific i'd go for a repti-glo 8, repti-sun 5, repti-glo 10 and then repti-sun 10, in that order - with the repti-sun 10 producing most UVB and UVA.

For a juvenile id get temps 105-110, and for an adult lower them by 5 degrees. I'd also avoid mealworms as they have a hard chitin which can not be easily digested, and offer poor nutritional value. Stick to crickets / roaches / silkworms as a staple, and locusts / waxworms as treats.

I'd recommend spring (collard) greens and mustard greens as staple greens also, which should be offered every day. You can offer small amounts of kale, bok choi, and other leafy greens and the occasional fruit as treats.
Kale is a bit of a no no but other than that I agree. Kale conains too many secondary plant compounds for my liking but as i've said different breeders use different methods.

I know I used to give locusts to Osiris once a week and waxworm as an evening treat only one or two but it is always nice to see them enjoy what they are eating but if locusts and waxies are fed to them too often they will start to reject other food and become over weight quickly. Another good way of encouraging your beardie to eat greens if he is fussy is to use crikcet maker drops, not something I use personally but I have seen some pretty good responses when its dripped onto greens.

Let me know how you get on

Cheers : victory:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys nice thoughts.Have read the websheet on greens etc that is posted on here.Proved very helpfull.What is that about cricket maker drops?

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I didn't realize avocado was bad for lizards too!! I never have it in the house actually in case my parrot should accidentally get hold of it.

Mine love their veges - used to eat insects - but don't seem so interested in them at the moment (except the fatty waxworms :| ) I didn't realize locusts were fattening either - I always thought they were a good food for them?

·
Registered
477 Posts
'Cricket maker' is a formula that is used on things to make your lizards kind of think its eating crickets......it's smells like crickets to them and it tastes like crickets to them as far as I know so give it a whirl and let me know how it goes.

Yes Avocado is very poisonous to lizards but there are a few discrepancies as to what the effects of the poisoning are. Usually DEATH as far as i'm aware :idea:

·
Registered
849 Posts
I didn't realize avocado was bad for lizards too!! I never have it in the house actually in case my parrot should accidentally get hold of it.

Mine love their veges - used to eat insects - but don't seem so interested in them at the moment (except the fatty waxworms :| ) I didn't realize locusts were fattening either - I always thought they were a good food for them?
Locusts aren't really any different to crickets in nutrition, but as they are so expensive, keepers tend to use them as treats and not staples since crickets do the same job.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Mine don't like crickets at all - they don't seem to like the locusts either much at the moment. I'm sure the lil gutbags would eat waxies all day long if I let them though but I won't let them have more than a couple each every 2-3 days - perhaps I should withhold them though so they don't get fat(ter).

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Thanks. Yes, they're fine for them - in fact they eye up the big juicy ones more than the normal size ones. I think it's probably because (a) they've just come out of brumation or (b) I've been too free with the waxworms and they know I'll feel sorry for them if they don't eat. They're certainly not thin they're kind of plump actually - could even be toooo plump.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts