Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new member here... The past few years I've owned a leopard gecko in a small 24 inch viv, unfortunately she passed away the other week and a small ceremony has been carried out in the garden rest her soul :(

so anyway I'm looking to get myself another lovely lizard as I obviously have all the gear so it would be a shame not to. However I'd like to get something less, shall we say sleepy than another Leo as most of the time I felt like I should just let her sleep lol. A few friends own beardies and they seem like the exact personality of lizard I would like, but I don't really have the space for a huge 4+ft viv so I started looking into rankins. They seem ideal due to their similar personality, dietary requirements and smaller size.

However I've seen varying advice about the size of viv they should be housed in, from people saying 24x24" would be suitable for a single adult to people saying 34" so I'm a bit confused on that. I'd say due to space limitations that the biggest viv I could go up to is probably a 30x15" that I've seen for a super reasonable 40-odd quid as a flat pack. I've seen multiple people say a 30" would be suitable for 1 rankins but due to the varying reports I thought I better ask, Would a 30x15x15 be suitable for an adult rankins? I'm thinking it would be if people keep them in 24x24s but thought I better check first as I know they are much more active than Leo's.

Also, my current viv is an all glass type with wire in the top where my heat lamp is fitted. If I was to upgrade it would be a wooden viv so How would one go about fitting a lamp? Drill a hole to mount the lamp in or just mount it to the ceiling of the viv somehow? (pictures of the viv I have in mind don't seem to have any roof holes)

Also are there any differences in size between male/female rankins? Or any other differences?

Or after all that would I be best to just wait till I have a bit more space to work with?

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
You mention past few years.... Leos normal life span is over a decade. What did it die from?

Rankins dragons, although smaller, should NOT be kept in ANYTHING less than 3ft long and 2ft deep.

This is not just because of the space needed for the animal, but due to the UV you need, thermal gradient and having suitable substrate and decor for it.

Anyone saying you can keep it in a 2ft viv is giving INCREDIBLY poor advice, and i guarantee you there will be other major issues with husbandry and likely vet bills involved with their "experience".

Minimum viv sizes should not just account for physically fitting the animal in, but also being able to establish the correct environment, provide an engaging environment they can behave like they normally would (for example, digging species) and meet any needs for shelter as well. You have to consider the temperature range they need, the lighting requirements, the need for shade/hides/burrow space, all of those kind of things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mention past few years.... Leos normal life span is over a decade. What did it die from?

Rankins dragons, although smaller, should NOT be kept in ANYTHING less than 3ft long and 2ft deep.

This is not just because of the space needed for the animal, but due to the UV you need, thermal gradient and having suitable substrate and decor for it.

Anyone saying you can keep it in a 2ft viv is giving INCREDIBLY poor advice, and i guarantee you there will be other major issues with husbandry and likely vet bills involved with their "experience".

Minimum viv sizes should not just account for physically fitting the animal in, but also being able to establish the correct environment, provide an engaging environment they can behave like they normally would (for example, digging species) and meet any needs for shelter as well. You have to consider the temperature range they need, the lighting requirements, the need for shade/hides/burrow space, all of those kind of things.
Ah so I will wait until I have space for a 3 footer then, and we had had her for probably 8 or 9 years... I'm not too sure what she died of as she seemed her usual self... She was eating well, getting the occasional calcium supplement etc. The only things I can think of is that the last shed she had she struggled with a bit and she also prolapsed a few months ago, although that was sorted out by a vet who said it was due to her licking/eating too much calcium sand (which was removed and replaced with supplements on her food) although she was fine after that so I'm unsure as to the cause of her demise :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts