Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just thought I would have a quick rant about a certain common aspect of gecko keeping.

I keep seeing posts of overweight geckos/lizards and people stating 'It's because he loves his food' or 'he just loves waxworms lol' etc.

This is just not the case, its not like the gecko goes and helps themselves, they eat exactly the amount of food they are given and no more.

They are *several* health issues relating to obesity with geckos, not the least of which are liver failure and other fat/protein OD related issues. Geckos will often eat all they are given, they are pre-programmed to do so as in the wild there are feasts and famines and they will need to take advantage of every food that comes their way to ensure they will survive the times when food is scarce.

If anyone is interested I can point them by PM to photos of necroscopy's from other breeders where it shows the adverse impact of overfeeding.

Be responsible and aware that the gecko's health is entirely in your hands.

End of rant.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Hi all,
Just thought I would have a quick rant about a certain common aspect of gecko keeping.

I keep seeing posts of overweight geckos/lizards and people stating 'It's because he loves his food' or 'he just loves waxworms lol' etc.

This is just not the case, its not like the gecko goes and helps themselves, they eat exactly the amount of food they are given and no more.

They are *several* health issues relating to obesity with geckos, not the least of which are liver failure and other fat/protein OD related issues. Geckos will often eat all they are given, they are pre-programmed to do so as in the wild there are feasts and famines and they will need to take advantage of every food that comes their way to ensure they will survive the times when food is scarce.

If anyone is interested I can point them by PM to photos of necroscopy's from other breeders where it shows the adverse impact of overfeeding.

Be responsible and aware that the gecko's health is entirely in your hands.

End of rant.

Sorry but i disagree because your generalising. Gary has NEVER eaten all he is given and to a fact he cant eat more than he can cope with because if he did he would sick up the last one because his stomach is too full.
This is more likely going to scare people into UNDER feeding their leopard geckos now.
In my opinion overweight leopard geckos is not caused by overfeeding but more with the wrong diet. Feeding only wax worms for example would cause obesisty in leopard geckos but anyone with any common sense would know to only give this as a treat and only one every two weeks.
Also giving pinky mice could cause this but as i dont give my male leo these at all theres no problem with that.

I dont know about other species of geckos but its not the case with leos and generalising like this will do more harm than good.

/end rant

Reactions: sam n mushu

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have a male leo that does exactly this. Put food in front of him, He eats it. He's a big lad anyway ( 80g - but long with it before i'm told he's already overweight!! ) i know if i fed him more food and more food daily, He'd snap it up and probably hit 90g without so much of a blink of an eyelid. you have to watch what they eat too. Wax worms and butter worms are high in fat. Juvenile gecko's need a lot more food ( as a food to bodyweight percentage ) than adults require due to their growth. Females who have laid eggs need a lot more quality food ( and calcium ) in order to maintain weight.
Whilst i kind of agree with the OP, This is a generalisation and not true for all species and all sexes / ages.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can see where you're coming from, but i have to say that my leo doesn't eat everything he's given. Once he is full, that's it, he wont eat anything else and i have to remove leftover crickets. In general, geckos maybe do eat everything but there are plenty of exceptions. I think as long as you are giving the animal a balanced diet and a mixture of foods, then the gecko should be quite healthy. Obviously the amount of food you offer is also important so as not to overfeed, but like i say, my gecko wont eat if he's full. He seems to know his limits! But it is a good topic to bring up. I think people find it quite exciting/interesting watching their gecko eat and this could be a cause of why some geckos are too fat?

Reactions: dramen

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry but i disagree because your generalising. Gary has NEVER eaten all he is given and to a fact he cant eat more than he can cope with because if he did he would sick up the last one because his stomach is too full.
This is more likely going to scare people into UNDER feeding their leopard geckos now.
In my opinion overweight leopard geckos is not caused by overfeeding but more with the wrong diet. Feeding only wax worms for example would cause obesisty in leopard geckos but anyone with any common sense would know to only give this as a treat and only one every two weeks.
Also giving pinky mice could cause this but as i dont give my male leo these at all theres no problem with that.

I dont know about other species of geckos but its not the case with leos and generalising like this will do more harm than good.

/end rant
The fact of the matter is that 'Gary' and any other gecko can and will eat more than they should without necessarily regurgitating.

People can east several bowls of ice-cream and dozens of burgers a day without vomitting up the last meal... Does that make it healthy?

I did not recommend under-feeding whatsoever, I promoted resposible feeding and attempted to make people aware of over-feeding.

Your signature states how experienced you are with geckos, I'm offering advice from 25+ years of experience.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Just to clarify btw Gary gained 5g's a week every week when i got him.
The last 3 weeks he has gained 3g,3g and this week projected 1-2g gain.
He currently weighs in at 64g (his normal weigh in is tommorow but i was checking more regularly to make sure he wasnt losing and was just slowing down)

His normal diet now is every 2-3 days he has a couple of size 5 crickets or medium locusts and a few mealworms which he has 20 each night put in a dish and theres always mealworms left over (which i remove and gutload for 24 hours and give him freshly gutloaded mealworms the next night.)

Bear in mind if you look at the size he was in my signiture i think he was the runt of the clutch and will stop gaining at between 65-70g's but this has nothing to do with my feeding as you can see above and its him doing this naturally.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can see where you're coming from, but i have to say that my leo doesn't eat everything he's given. Once he is full, that's it, he wont eat anything else and i have to remove leftover crickets. In general, geckos maybe do eat everything but there are plenty of exceptions. I think as long as you are giving the animal a balanced diet and a mixture of foods, then the gecko should be quite healthy. Obviously the amount of food you offer is also important so as not to overfeed, but like i say, my gecko wont eat if he's full. He seems to know his limits! But it is a good topic to bring up. I think people find it quite exciting/interesting watching their gecko eat and this could be a cause of why some geckos are too fat?
Perhaps your gecko wont eat until he's if it's full but many will. What I'm also saying is that keepers shouldn't try to feed their gecko to the point of them being full every time. Being 'full' isn't a healthy limit.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to clarify btw Gary gained 5g's a week every week when i got him.
The last 3 weeks he has gained 3g,3g and this week projected 1-2g gain.
He currently weighs in at 64g (his normal weigh in is tommorow but i was checking more regularly to make sure he wasnt losing and was just slowing down)

His normal diet now is every 2-3 days he has a couple of size 5 crickets or medium locusts and a few mealworms which he has 20 each night put in a dish and theres always mealworms left over (which i remove and gutload for 24 hours and give him freshly gutloaded mealworms the next night.)

Bear in mind if you look at the size he was in my signiture i think he was the runt of the clutch and will stop gaining at between 65-70g's but this has nothing to do with my feeding as you can see above and its him doing this naturally.
Naturally? Everything about every captive geckos' husbandry is down to us, from diet to photoperiod.

It's great that 'Gary' is improving weight-wise. I'm not disputing that. I'm stating several people overfeed and it's a problem that needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The fact of the matter is that 'Gary' and any other gecko can and will eat more than they should without necessarily regurgitating.

People can east several bowls of ice-cream and dozens of burgers a day without vomitting up the last meal... Does that make it healthy?

I did not recommend under-feeding whatsoever, I promoted resposible feeding and attempted to make people aware of over-feeding.

Your signature states how experienced you are with geckos, I'm offering advice from 25+ years of experience.
I didnt say you recommended underfeeding, What i said/meant was the way you worded it will scare new owners into thinking they are overfeeding and will underfeed thier gecko.
Also you didnt specify which gecko and each species is different.
25 years of experience has nothing to do with the way you get your point across.

I may have only had a leopard gecko for a few months but that is no comparison to how many animals i have cared for in my time. (I am 35 btw)
If you had wanted to make a better post then you should have included dietry needs as a cause of obesisty as well not just "Dont overfeed your gecko it will get fat"

My point is Gary doesnt do this and a lot of other owners will agree that their geckos wont do this either.
Its down to each indivdual gecko.

To argue the point you made about burgers and icecream. That highlights perfectly as to what i said about the wrong diet causing obesity. A correct human healthy diet does not consist of burgers and icecream and will cause obesity. The same as a diet of wax worms and pinkys only would caused obesity in leopard geckos.

I may be incorrect that indeed that geckos can over eat on a normal diet but so far i have never heard of it on these forums but i am open to being corrected as always.

Apologies if i came accross as ranting that i knew more than you as i obviously wont but i wanted to offer a personal experience opinion and thanks for the compliment of garys weight. :)

I do 100% agree with you though it is down to the keepers to make sure their gecko is healthy and properly fed which is what your intentions of the original post were.

Reactions: ChelsNLuke

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didnt say you recommended underfeeding, What i said was the way you worded it will scare new owners into thinking they are overfeeding and will underfeed there gecko.
Also you didnt specify which gecko and each species is different.
25 years of experience has nothing to do with the way you get your point across.

I knew that you would pull that i am not an experienced owner and try to shut me down that way but are you saying i dont know what i am doing with my own leo? The statistics for his weight gain say otherwise.
I may have only had a leopard gecko for a few months but that is no comparison to how many animals i have cared for in my time. (I am 35 btw not a child as you are seeming to think)
If you had wanted to make a better post then you should have included dietry needs as a cause of obesisty as well not just "Dont overfeed your gecko it will get fat"

My point is Gary doesnt do this and a lot of other owners will agree that their geckos wont do this either.
Its down to each indivdual gecko.

To argue the point you made about burgers and icecream. That highlights perfectly as to what i said about the wrong diet causing obesity. A correct human healthy diet does not consist of burgers and icecream and will cause obesity. The same as a diet of wax worms and pinkys only would caused obesity in leopard geckos.
No. If someone reeds my post they will research what is needed not necessarily just starve them out of fear of seeing my post.

My point had nothing to do with dietary variation, it was to do with volumes. Ergo 'over-feeding'.

I used the analogy to point out that digestinal biology does not make it so that every animal will simply vomit up what isn't good for them. My analogy works perfectly well if you subsitute the burgers and ice-cream for apples and all-bran, simpler?

I said in my last post that 'Gary' is doing well, geat! Good for you! However it does not negate my point that, and I'll say it again *some keepers overfeed their gecko*. So yes to simplify my post if you overfeed a gecko *regardless* of sp then it will get fat.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I may be incorrect that indeed that geckos can over eat on a normal diet but so far i have never heard of it on these forums but i am open to being corrected as always.
If you mean can they overeat on one type of staple livefood such as locusts/crickets then yes they can. It's a fact. PM me and I'll send the necroscopy pics, feeding regimen and stats.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
No. If someone reeds my post they will research what is needed not necessarily just starve them out of fear of seeing my post.

My point had nothing to do with dietary variation, it was to do with volumes. Ergo 'over-feeding'.

I used the analogy to point out that digestinal biology does not make it so that every animal will simply vomit up what isn't good for them. My analogy works perfectly well if you subsitute the burgers and ice-cream for apples and all-bran, simpler?

I said in my last post that 'Gary' is doing well, geat! Good for you! However it does not negate my point that, and I'll say it again *some keepers overfeed their gecko*. So yes to simplify my post if you overfeed a gecko *regardless* of sp then it will get fat.
Noted that i didnt include what i sent in a pm in my original post.
I was always told on these forums as well as other places that you cannot overfeed a leopard gecko as they will just sick up the last one.
I am guessing this is another myth that has been carried on by word of mouth and has no actual basis.

The problem is that i have been seeing posts lately is people do minimal research if at all. Look at the amount of posts recently with people getting bearded dragons and wondering why their temperatures are too hot and not using thermostat etc or cresties being fed baby food.

My apologies again and i say it publicly sometimes a post in my head is good but when it actually gets to the screen its not what i had in my head if you understand my meaning.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
If you mean can they overeat on one type of staple livefood such as locusts/crickets then yes they can. It's a fact. PM me and I'll send the necroscopy pics, feeding regimen and stats.
I already sent a pm but please do send that information. I am interested in learning everything i can and with the right information then i cant go wrong advising others.

Many thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No problem at all. It's entirely possible that a gecko will regurgitate when it's 'full' but as I said, being full at every feeding is not optimal for health.

What's your email and I'll send over the info.

Thanks for listening. Apologies also if I came across agressively.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
No problem at all. It's entirely possible that a gecko will regurgitate when it's 'full' but as I said, being full at every feeding is not optimal for health.

What's your email and I'll send over the info.

Thanks for listening. Apologies also if I came across agressively.
Not at all mate i came across as aggressive first so your posts were more self defense than anything else :)

My email address is [email protected]

Many thanks for the information, I'll have something to read tonight when the kids are in bed :2thumb:

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Do you know what I think is the main cause of this?
The emphasis on breeding weights and a good weight = healthy animal.

I've seen it countless times, 'my leopard gecko is a beast, he's 150 grams he's the best!'
No, he's overweight so not impressive at all.
'Everyone' seems to be in a rush to get weight onto their geckos so they can reach that minimum breeding weight or they think a fast weight gain is always the best. There's a balance that needs to be used.
60 grams can be healthy for one crested gecko but obese for another and I think a lot of people don't know how to identify the difference.

It's rare I see truly obese geckos so it isn't a huge problem in my eyes but it's definitely there.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Do you know what I think is the main cause of this?
The emphasis on breeding weights and a good weight = healthy animal.

I've seen it countless times, 'my leopard gecko is a beast, he's 150 grams he's the best!'
No, he's overweight so not impressive at all.
'Everyone' seems to be in a rush to get weight onto their geckos so they can reach that minimum breeding weight or they think a fast weight gain is always the best. There's a balance that needs to be used.
60 grams can be healthy for one crested gecko but obese for another and I think a lot of people don't know how to identify the difference.

It's rare I see truly obese geckos so it isn't a huge problem in my eyes but it's definitely there.
Pardon my french but :censor: me 150g!!!! Thats over double garys projected adult weight!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts