Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry just needed a rant. people ask you how much you want for something, say 70 quid, they then reply saying well i am interested but would you accept 40 as it will cost me 30 quid in petrol to get to you.

WHY THE HELL SHOULD I PAY YOUR PETROL?????

rant over :lol2:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I got this from someone the other day!! OOOOO it annoys me why ask what you want and then say oh will you take x amount for it duh!!:bash:

·
Banned
1,253 Posts
if you go to a store say for instance B&Q do they ask if they can have a discount because its just cost them X amount in petrol ;)

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
sorry just needed a rant. people ask you how much you want for something, say 70 quid, they then reply saying well i am interested but would you accept 40 as it will cost me 30 quid in petrol to get to you.

WHY THE HELL SHOULD I PAY YOUR PETROL?????

rant over :lol2:

I hope you said yes we will all look out for your adverts then. :lol2:

·
Premium Member
14,592 Posts
I know!! This annoys the hell out of me aswell! If you are travelling a long distance, I might knock a bit off the price but not half to cover your petrol!! If you can't afford the petrol and the animal, buy one closer to home! I have travelled all over the country (and even to Europe) for leos I really wanted!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope you said yes we will all look out for your adverts then. :lol2:
no lol what i actually said to them was £40 is fine, infact to save ur petrol would you also like me to deliver it for free? :lol2:

·
Registered
940 Posts
no lol what i actually said to them was £40 is fine, infact to save ur petrol would you also like me to deliver it for free? :lol2:

Did you offer 6 wks free insurance also as well as food for the 1st few months? :lol2:

I regularly look on preloved / epupz etc.
Seen an ad for a british bulldog, great dane, leonberger, st bernard, english mastiff etc (wanted ad for dogs worth more than £500 as pups. ). Willing to pay £150. Had to be kc reg bitch. No older than 18 months (i think), Not speyed. Would be well loved, and plenty of exercse etc. Their young child was pestering and they'd promised. Also had to be close cos they dont' drive. Or had to be delivered and they'd 'pay some towards it!'
It had me in stitches. Would any1 be that stupid? Surely not?

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
We had someone ring our sanctuary and ask us to reduce our donation for a cat as the last one they had from a different rescue had been run over and they didnt want to waste more money paying for another cat in case the same thing happened :gasp: Needless to say they they didnt get a cat off us or any of the other rescues in the area that we warned

·
Banned
5,384 Posts
We had someone ring our sanctuary and ask us to reduce our donation for a cat as the last one they had from a different rescue had been run over and they didnt want to waste more money paying for another cat in case the same thing happened :gasp: Needless to say they they didnt get a cat off us or any of the other rescues in the area that we warned

I'm always after a cheap pussy. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you offer 6 wks free insurance also as well as food for the 1st few months? :lol2:

I regularly look on preloved / epupz etc.
Seen an ad for a british bulldog, great dane, leonberger, st bernard, english mastiff etc (wanted ad for dogs worth more than £500 as pups. ). Willing to pay £150. Had to be kc reg bitch. No older than 18 months (i think), Not speyed. Would be well loved, and plenty of exercse etc. Their young child was pestering and they'd promised. Also had to be close cos they dont' drive. Or had to be delivered and they'd 'pay some towards it!'
It had me in stitches. Would any1 be that stupid? Surely not?
While I agree with the original OP about setting a price then someone asking for it cheaper to pay their petrol, In your example I dont see a problem. The person put the price they were willing to pay, said they dont drive (so no annoyance to people messaging them and then the person selling getting annoyed that they have to transport the dog, in effect wasting their time).

I have no idea of value of dogs, and I wanted another dog to keep mine company as he was lonely after our last dog passing away a year ago. I put an advert on various sites saying the type of dog I wanted, that I could pay max £200 and that I dont drive so would willingly pay petrol costs. Was my advert ridiculous? Actually I guess not as I was offered a puppy lab for £100 and they even kindly drove him to me. On top of that I actually turned down a number of other offers after. So while I agree that some people do try it on as the original OP pointed out, I dont think ads like the one you pointed out is so bad :)

·
Registered
940 Posts
While I agree with the original OP about setting a price then someone asking for it cheaper to pay their petrol, In your example I dont see a problem. The person put the price they were willing to pay, said they dont drive (so no annoyance to people messaging them and then the person selling getting annoyed that they have to transport the dog, in effect wasting their time).

I have no idea of value of dogs, and I wanted another dog to keep mine company as he was lonely after our last dog passing away a year ago. I put an advert on various sites saying the type of dog I wanted, that I could pay max £200 and that I dont drive so would willingly pay petrol costs. Was my advert ridiculous? Actually I guess not as I was offered a puppy lab for £100 and they even kindly drove him to me. On top of that I actually turned down a number of other offers after. So while I agree that some people do try it on as the original OP pointed out, I dont think ads like the one you pointed out is so bad :)
The difference between your example and mine is that a lab puppy is not sold at £1000 whereas a british bulldog is. A great dane can cost over £800 depending on colour as can a neo mastiff. So you were offered a pup roughly in the region of the money you could afford to pay. They asked for specific breeds of dog (with a high sell price) and offered a third.
So bacsically, like me going to Tesco. Buying £100 quid worth of shopping, and saying 'well i had to pay petrol to get here. Plus was inconvienienced to travel in rush hour traffic and paying parking costs. I'll give you £20 for it all'.
Thats the difference.
Also from the wording of the ad, they wanted a puppy, a cheap one. To be bred from. (Hence that it had to be a bitch, young, and not speyed).
Did you state that in your ad?

·
Registered
22 Posts
No I didnt state that in my ad :)
My ad was basically max £200 available to spend on a puppy preferably but would consider up to 18 months old. Must be good with other animals and children. Preferably in my area unless they could transport with costs agreed at start of sale. Along with the good home and fields close by for plenty of walks bits that ensured people would know I could look after the dog and give it everything it would need.

Actually I think I did say I had no intention of breeding as this was to be a family pet only.

While I understand what your saying, my point was that I have no clue about dog prices, and that doesnt always affect what someone is willing to sell an animal at anyway. We had dogs offered which included a husky and an alsation. Both of which im sure probably cost more than £200 if you bought from a breeder. Therefore asking for certain breeds at what would be considered cheaper prices isnt always someone trying to grab a cheapy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts