Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking earlier with a friend and the subject of rare snakes came up again.

Does anyone here have any "entries" for the rarest snake SPECIES (not interested in morphs) in the world?

My best bet is Corallus copanii, with only 3 ever seen.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Lamprophis fiskii is pretty rare and only known from less than 20 specimans . Although i do know someone who has 1 ! ...just 1 .

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a boa, same genus as Amazon and Emerald tree boas. There is no confirmation as to whether they are tree boas though, they may not really be Corallus at all if and when further testing is done.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting read Opheodryas, thanks!

Ok so we have (in assumed order) :

Corallus cropanii
Lamprophis fiskii
Alsophis antiguae

I've left Zhaoermia off because it's not that rare, i know of about 100+ in captivity and there are those that are on Mangshan itself.

Si, care to elaborate as to which species?

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
Thanks for that, I would love one, maybe not one of the rarest but one of the sexiest!!

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
I believe Calliophis intestinalis lineata is the rarest of the two, the other is caliophis bivirgato.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for that, I would love one, maybe not one of the rarest but one of the sexiest!!
I agree but at £3k they can be as pretty as they want :lol2:

Si, do you mean C. bivirgata? I don't think either are rare as such, just not common in the hobby.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
yeah thats the one, so you want snakes that are rare in the wild, not just not seen in captivity very often, how about Toxicolcalamas spilolepidotus. and theres a taipan species only known by one specimen I believe.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
yeah thats the one, so you want snakes that are rare in the wild, not just not seen in captivity very often, how about Toxicolcalamas spilolepidotus. and theres a taipan species only known by one specimen I believe.
Has anyone got any information about Toxicolcalamas spilolepidotus, where they're from, how many specimens are known etc? I'm not sure I've heard of those before, thanks in advance :smile:

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
I agree but at £3k they can be as pretty as they want :lol2:

Si, do you mean C. bivirgata? I don't think either are rare as such, just not common in the hobby.
Wanna pay halfs on a lottery ticket, on ever lottery :lol2:

·
Registered
15,628 Posts
difficult one. i would mention the round island boa, Bolyeria multocarinata. There is a big questionmark as to whether there are still live specimens of this species, and it is officially regarded as extinct. last certified sighting was in 1975. however, there is a possibility that this species may be rediscovered, and for that reason i would place this animal in that list

Alex

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
Has anyone got any information about Toxicolcalamas spilolepidotus, where they're from, how many specimens are known etc? I'm not sure I've heard of those before, thanks in advance :smile:
Its known from two preserved specimens, its from PNG, and one specimen is in the states and one still in PNG, its an egg layer, and eats soft bodied invertabrates, well thats what they think from the specimens, its a pretty small snake, and thats about it im afraid.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts