Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2 beautiful litters of Ratties and I would like to ask if anyone has any idea on names of colours and markings!

Nest 1.. Only one pic at the mo as camera battery died!

Nest 2.. All sorts in here! Lots of pics too.

4, My favourite.. white with hardly any markings!

Any ideas? I will try and get pictures of them all once my battery is charged. Lovely babies though! I would love to keep them all and already have a few favourites!! :flrt:

Thanks!!

Sam

·
Registered
38,264 Posts
nest one
look mink, theres a mink capped :flrt: my fav rat is a mink capped shes awesome

nest two...
black varigated, hoodeds and undermarked roans

pic five looks like a siamese bareback

pic 8 is an overmarked siamese capped? hard to tell with that one

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Just guesses, cant say without knowing their background (parents, grandparents etc):

Nest 1: Mink or dove (russian blue + mink) - some capped.

Nest 2: Agouti and black mismarked hooded and possibly roan.

Baby 3: roan

Baby 4: roan

Baby 5: siamese capped

Baby 6: roan

Baby 7: mismarked variegated, or another roan - you'll be able to tell if he starts roaning.

Baby 8: some sort of siamese marked perhaps, hard to tell without knowing parents.

Baby 9: roan

Piccie 10: various roans and siamese capped.

Obviously, these are all guesses without knowing what the parents are and carry. Something worth knowing about before you pair them up - otherwise you'll never know for sure. : victory:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the help! I am just getting to grips with colours! I understand about needing to know genetics before colours can be properly identified. Thank you for your guesses so far. Whatever they are, they will all be loved here.

Nest 1.. The parents are Black Hooded and Roan, Grandparents were, I believe although don't quote me on this, a light brown colour and a white and beige. I can't be 100% sure on grandparents i'm afraid.

Nest 2.. Mum looks as if she has a blue head, although in the daylight it has a hint of brown, and a blue spot on her bum, I will try and get a pic of dad. I will ask about grandparents too.

These are our first litters. Nest 1 was planned as we have friends that asked for babies from the parents, although the baby colours are nothing like the parents!

Nest 2 was a surprise. I will be keeping the majority of the babies and possibly rehoming a couple to close friends and family that already have rats. I want them to remain as pets.

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
In nest one, there looks to be two different litters? If not you have some very unwell and undersized kittens in there. :(

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to mention that, thanks Kathy. The tiny pups are from another girl. Different litter.

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
Phew! Well good luck with them. :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! They are all putting on weight nicely and mums are all looking healthy. I will pop on some more pictures as they grow. I just have to think of some names for them all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts