Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have only just registered but have often browsed this spot and it of full of good stuff. So I wondered if one of you knowledgeable sorts could help.

We have a bairds rat snake which we got about a year ago from some people who were moving and had lost interest. It has been a perfect snake and fed shed like clockwork, taking a dead mouse every week or two. Over the last couple of months I have noticed a real change in it, virtually never resting even after a feed, constantly on the move( but not taking a 2nd mouse if offered). More recently it is still like this but not taking a jiggled mouse or striking then and leaving it, in the past it would even take a mouse static if left in the viv. It did take a mouse a week ago, and hasn't gone an exceptionally long time without feeding.
Now tonight I noticed it was hiding where it used to always used to hide and I thought would change the water while he was settled( I rarely handle it as it is large and I cant hold any weight due to a health problem) but I had not even got the lock of when it burst out striking at the glass, I presumed it had made a mistake and maybe thought it saw a mouse? but anywhere I put my hand near the glass it struck??? so I have left the water for tonight but I don't understand this change.

any ideas?

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
the not eating maybe because he wants to breed and will pass ....the striking maybe because he was startled by you going into the viv ...is he coming into shed ? as can be fiesty then

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, I will see how it goes. He probably is due to shed and I did wonder if this is why he is being strange and he is now laying in the water.

I also wondered if he was in breeding mode but was told in the pet shop where I but food it is too late in the year for this? Hopefully he will settle.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Does he normally lie in the water?

Could be mites that are making him irritable, this could also be the reason why he is off his food?

Just a thought, worth looking into : victory:

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
It could be a bit late for him to breed successfully, but he may still have the urge to do so :)

If he is constantly on the move and up at the glass, he is almost certainly wanting sex. No insult intended... but from your name it's not obvious what sex you are... but if you are male, it could be that he sees you as a bit of a threat ( they can tell what sex you are by pheromones etc ) which could explain the strike... but more likely it's just his hormones making him slightly aggressive.

With regard to food... try giving him 2-3 fuzzies instead of a mouse. Most of my males stop eating their regular food when breeding season is here but will happilly take a few downsized items.

Check your temperatures in the viv to make sure the behaviour is not because he is too hot and basically keep an eye on him. If it is mating behaviour then he should sort himself out in a few weeks.

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts