Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a good 15 years experience with hots and others, but this is my first Boa. I rescued her last summer and now after having her in my care for over six month and fed her birds, rabbits, rats etc., I thought I check with boa keepers to see how her body shape is.

She looks very square - which I think is the main thing, but have a look and let me know :)

She is about 8-9ft, weighs in about 1.5st (11KG) and is about 10yrs old..

Hard to get a decent picture where she is straight. So hopefully 'part' of her will do :)

Road surface Plant Tints and shades Military camouflage Wood

Plant Automotive tire Reptile Scaled reptile Road surface

·
Registered
681 Posts
She is a cracker!

It is very hard to know when they are overweight.
They develop pockets of fat tissue, which we can’t see.

Watching some of the animals at home podcasts, there was talk about the importance of introducing fasting periods, as part of natural cycles, and feeding routines at much reduced frequencies to often seen in domestic keeping.

Its good that you are keeping a check on her, and setting her out for exercise. We have a small tasty sprocker spaniel so agreed never to keep any big boids (not that I could spare the space even if I wanted to)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I mix it up. I leave anything between 3-6 weeks between feeds depending on food size. 6 weeks mainly after a chunky rabbit and 3-4 after an ex breeder rat. With birds she struggles and will only ever have one so I might drop the frequency.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts