Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On thursday, 29th dec i bought a Razor Back Musk Turtle, he was tiny, no bigger then a 50p.
I have a 2ftx1ftx1ft tank which has about 4inches of water in it. the water temp is around 80 degrees farenheit which is filtered.
I have a small turtle dock with a 5.0 UVB 26w tropical lamp around 7/8inches higher then the dock.

The turtle would not eat the juvenile pellets i fed him, once a day. So by sunday i tried him on redworm.
He didnt eat any of this either so i had to do a full water change.
He was perfectly fine yday. Swimming around and stuff, more active then i had seem him before.
I woke up this morning and BAM, hes floating... :(

Im just wondering what did i do that was so wrong?
HELP please... dont wanna kill anymore turtles!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't really know - but with my land tortoise it took a few days from moving in to settle in and he wouldn't stop climbing the side of his home.

I think someone else posted about their land tortoise not eating, someone commented due to settling into the new home.

I don't know a thing about turtles but, hope that helps a bit? :/

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i rang the place i got it from and they said it can sometimes happen, that because of the water change and new home and stuff he didnt eat... but 5 days is a long time to go without food when your that little!!
Thank btw

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hi im really am sorry for your loss... I was thinking of ways to help you then I read he sadly passed away. He could have died from an RI infection, which is very common in pet shops and highly contagious, though he seemed fine as your said for a day.

I also feel the water was a bit too deep. Yes he probably could breathe for air, but could he make that trip and effort every 20 minutes? If not he would get tired very quickly. The feeding problem I dont think it was too much to worry about as most turtles dont eat for days even weeks when they move to another home.

Again I really am sorry for your loss and I suggest not buying livestock from that same pet store, just in case it was an RI. I hope this doesnt put you off as they are wonderful creatures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.