Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am refering to the picture on page 37 regarding sexing snakes in the corn snake manual by Bill and Kathy Love.
My female has always looked like the second snake down in the picture, however, over the past few days she has started to resemble the top snake in the picture.
I know she could not be changing sex, so what else could've caused this?

For those who don't have the book, my female is quite puffy and swolen pre vent but normal after. She is housed with a male, but surely could not be pregnant at this time of year?!

And as I know there are more than one version of corn snake manual by Bill and Kathy Love as they update them, the one we have has a blue cover and was printed in 2000.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started cooling them two weeks ago. How can i know for sure if she is pregnant and if so, how quick should i warm her back up.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
you started cooling them and she could be pregnant? are they together now lucy?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they live together permenantly, started cooling them after her last poo 2 weeks ago and only noticed the swelling when i changed the water this week.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i wouldnt have thought you would see a noticable bump from being gravid already.. although there is a chance she may be more gravid than you think if they have been together a long time.
try and find out, you dont want to hibernate a gravid corn.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so how am i going to do that? do i need to take her to a vet? do they do little scans for snakes or something? or is it a case of keeping them warm for now just to be on the safe side and see what happens?

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
bring her round if you can make it one afternoon, i vet can tell you via a scan but that will cost a lot.
you can look yourself, run you thumb gently underneath, you may be able to count eggs if there are any.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts