Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have put some smaller 2nd inst brown crix in my viv (about 50) thinkin they would be better instead of the black ones ive been using, black ones looked alittle bit too big around the bum, but my beardies have went mad running all over tryimg to hide and escape, they look horrified but i dont know what to do because if i open the doors to get my babys out the crix will get everywhere around my house and ive heard they can lay eggs and so on.. all i need to know is will they calm down and eat them or will they be frightened ov them till they are gone? i know it was a stupid mistake putting 50 in but i thought that it would be ok (stupid idea) and if i need to get them out how do i kill the crix without me having to hunt them down with a newspaper? any help please

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
well good luck if youve gotta catch 50 browns they are much faster than blacks,that maybe why your bds are abit shocked,if they dont eat them youll have to get them out some how tho incase the nibble on your beardies,id suggest get your reps out and wrap parceltape or the like round your hand and start battering them you should get a few quickly,and for the ones that escape hopefully youve got a cat! i feel for you i hate crickets i only ever put 1 in at a time but im only feeding 1 leo

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've just put a few wax worms in where the crix are all hiding to lure them over, it did work but they eat the waxxys and ran like hell so think the tape is coming out, might leave it till tonight though and get some drink down me to calm me down(im like a warrior after a few pints) mat

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
id suggest get your reps out and wrap parceltape or the like round your hand and start battering them you should get a few quickly,
battering!? oh the voilence!:lol2:

big_fow: think you may have gone a bit overboard on the ole cricket front! how old are the beardies!? if still small would explain why they are running. probably think they are being invaded!!!:)

if you don't wanna touch em put tall tub on it's side in the viv..put some apple at the bottom and then wait. the crickets will go in and start eating the apple. once there are enough in there just lift the tub up straight..

if you don't mind touching them just get in there and grab em! they shouldn't ecape as most vivs have that lip at the bottom..it is there for that reason..oh and the fact that is acts as a barrier for you lizards..

the actual chance of crickets breeding in your house is not very high..

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
the actual chance of crickets breeding in your house is not very high..[/quote]

Thank god for that ive seen a few make the great escape lolz

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
battering!? oh the voilence!:lol2:

does sound abit nasty dont it,but i hate them,cant imagine anything worse than scooping up 50 crix:sick: tape was the only intelligent answer i could offer,maybe not so intelligent after all! still it would get rid of em quick then you can put more tape over them n pop them like bubble wrap now thats bad(kidding,i wouldnt but you could)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I don't like the browns, way too quick and not as meaty as the blacks. I feed all my babies on small blacks and never have a problem, just don't throw in so many at once, Little and often o.k.

As for getting them out, I agree! Get some fruit in a container into your viv and there instantly be drawn to that.

What kinda flooring do they have?? If it's kitchen roll or something like that then i would remove it and the dragons and get the hoover to the viv cos brown crickets are so quick and your never get them all.

·
Registered
477 Posts
It is a really bad idea to leave too many crickets in with your beardies as the crickets can attack and hurt your beardies whilst they are sleeping espescially if you have that many in there.

I feed my beardies a few at a time until they refuse to eat any more in that sitting, I will do this once in the morn and once in the eve. If you would like to get the out then the best thing i find is to put a box with a hole in and put it under the spot bulb because the crickets are drawn to the heat and then empty it at night and also put some fruit in a box with a hole in the front at the cool end. (peeled orange will do the trick great the crickets go crazy for the smell and head straight for).

Let me know how you get on.

: victory:

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
When I had a beardie that used to eat crix I would put them in a big container then put beardie in - worked very well and no crix running around the viv. I don't worry about a few locusts in the viv as they don't attack the beardies. I leave some pak choy leaves in too so any insects can feed on that.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
when i look after my neighbours beardie i hold the tub in the viv and lift the lid up the beardie can see exactly what they are and comes straight to the tub and eats as much as it wants you can only do it with blacks browns make a jump for it as soon as the lid goes up
doing it that way i could see how many he was eating
and i wouldnt have crickets running lose and biteing him at night
my neighbour said that he hadnt shed for ages two weeks with me doing that the day they came back he was in shed
we did get through alot of crickets though :D

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
ooerr :( i had an incident with crickets escaping..was nice at first..we caught all the ones we could find then everything was calm then about 2 weeks later the noises started...the jungle noise..everyone that ahs crickets knows what im talking about...then pin heads started ccomming from under the floarbords....then big black mega bugs started coming from under the abth lol then few weeks ago the neighbour down stairs was watching tv when her carer came in to amke her bed and that..as they do and found 4 in her bed and lots more everyhwere else in her house...lol they had went under the floar...bred..then multiplyed by a million or something lol( perhapsa abit exagerated there) but anywho before i could offer to catch them...or try she got the pest control out lol the place got fumigated:( iw as well angry coz she done it without telling us and all the pets were upstiars..(7 dogs) 3 cats +all the reps bitch!!!
its okay though coz shes slowly but surly dying...muahahhaa
anywho soz back to the point..yes they can and do breed quite rapidly when excaped...in my experience:)

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Ya know the rollers you use for clothes? Lint rollers? I use them when the little buggers escape! I hate them aswell!!!

Or of course the hoover!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have one of those crix keepers, thought "yey ill use this" put the black tube in the viv and shook it, my god there was loads!!! myself shit my pants to put in simple terms, shut the door put the black tube back in the keeper, killed a few escapes, then seen my beardies go divvy, they are really young and i bet they were papping their pants aswell, they have calmed down now and hiding high up away from them, they are only 9 weeks old but ones 11 inchs so i thought hes big enough to deal with these, how wrong i was:eek:mg: and thats the story for now, put some fruit in a box under the heat lamp to see if they will get lured in, i hope so cos ive only got a few hours to get drunk and face them myself, and just to post i thought reptiles were meat eaters not scardy cats lol, thanks for all the help mat ill keep you all posted on how things are later : victory:

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
When I had a beardie that used to eat crix I would put them in a big container then put beardie in - worked very well and no crix running around the viv. I don't worry about a few locusts in the viv as they don't attack the beardies. I leave some pak choy leaves in too so any insects can feed on that.
lol thats what u call a good animal keeper even feeds the food l:lol2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts