Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i am currently working in afghanistan as a private military contractor...anyway ... today i was informed by my workers that there was a snake in the yard, so exitedly i ran out to have a look. As i stood the staring at this beautiful saw scaled viper (only a baby), all of a sudden a "local" came along and dropped a big stone on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was so upset by this, as i had no chance to stop it... but i did give him the full extent of my anger including a few pushes, but i dont think he understood. I understand that the people im working with are uneducated and driven by the fear of these animals due to ignorance.
I have now made it a rule on my site that if anyone finds a snake ...No matter how poiseness... they come and get me first.
Im sorry but i had to make this known and i hope you understand why i posted this!

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Awww poor snakey
Although its drilled into them from birth
My Gran lived in Thailand yeeeears ago when my mam was ickle and they were always told to fear snakes. However the Thai's tend not to kill the snakes just move them due to a vast majority of them being Buddhist and they tend to respect animals very much.

So because of this my gran thinks my snakes are gong to reip me to shreds - however I had an incubator set up in her kitchen while we moved house with some royal eggs in. They hatched at her house and shes become very attatched to them. Its education a lot of the time but I do understand your frustration.

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
To be honest mate, I can see your upset but if I found a sawscaled viper (baby or not) in a camp with myself and a couple of hundred people on my team, I might not be so inclined to be a hero and try to move it afterall...

A sawscaled viper is something to be legitimately worried by!!!

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Jesus Christ, I knew someone who dropped a stone on a jellyfish in shallow water. I just don't see the need for it at all. :censor:

Least you stood up for it!

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
i understand it would upset me a bit too but i can see their point as these little fella's result in so many deaths and i doubt they have anti venom at hand. human nature im scared of spiders and i have hit a few over the years with my slipper:whistling2:

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
Thats sad about the snake, but where they come from its life and death and i am sure the parents and such dont want there kids playing around these snakes....but education can help and am sure you will be able to change the views of other people.

p.s. your job sounds awesomely cool

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
i understand it would upset me a bit too but i can see their point as these little fella's result in so many deaths and i doubt they have anti venom at hand. human nature im scared of spiders and i have hit a few over the years with my slipper:whistling2:
See Im nice I get the bottle and scoop them up in a glass and put them outside - unless the cat gets them first - then its just a food chain

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
See Im nice I get the bottle and scoop them up in a glass and put them outside - unless the cat gets them first - then its just a food chain
not recently but i have killed a few over the years but wouldnt anymore, but we as humans are like this sometimes if there is something that scares us or we dont know much about we react. : victory:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
its gut wrenching to be a witness to such an action , hopefully your new rule will save a few snake lives good luck and look forward to seeing some snake pics from afghan.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
not recently but i have killed a few over the years but wouldnt anymore, but we as humans are like this sometimes if there is something that scares us or we dont know much about we react. : victory:
i remember a friend lost one of his samon pink bird eater slings about 5 years back, then last year he had his kitchen re-fitted and there was this huge birdeater sitting on the wall, staying warm from the heating elements of the fridge ,,,,,one of the builds through a boo at it and it still was standing strong...we scooped her up and put her in a spare tank....she must ahve survived on woodlice,sliver fish and anyother bits of insects:lol2:

·
Registered
456 Posts
I totally understand how you feel! Where I'm from the same thing happens, mainly with the farm workers. As soon as they see a snake they kill it! Regardless of the species, and it is definitely due to ignorance and lack knowlege. Some are also very superstitious and brought up to believe that snakes are "evil" or something. Really P's me off too. :devil:

P.S - I'm from South Africa

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
i remember a friend lost one of his samon pink bird eater slings about 5 years back, then last year he had his kitchen re-fitted and there was this huge birdeater sitting on the wall, staying warm from the heating elements of the fridge ,,,,,one of the builds through a boo at it and it still was standing strong...we scooped her up and put her in a spare tank....she must ahve survived on woodlice,sliver fish and anyother bits of insects:lol2:
determined littled bugger hey:no1:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:)

Thanks everyone im really glad you understand where im coming from.... everyone on my site recieved the blunt end of the sword today and now i think everyone knows where my heart lies. so there should be no more troubles!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry!

im sorry but # bump#:devil:

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
In a situation where a venomous snake approached me and a group of people where we were staying- no anti venom. I'd probably let them kill it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea but if they see it and tell me i would remove it safely... In our job we see a lot worse than a venomous snake!!!! My lifestyle criteria involves sleeping around these animals and we know the precautions to take! and that is why i am understanding of why the "locals" do these things....but there is no reason why they could not be removed instead of killed...its not the snakes fault!!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok yes i understand where you are coming from and i agree if a person was at risk then yes.... but this situation was a bunch of people stood round then all of a sudden ....gone! wtf

·
Registered
456 Posts
In a situation where a venomous snake approached me and a group of people where we were staying- no anti venom. I'd probably let them kill it
Why?
I once caught a puff adder with a pair of bbq tongs and removed it from a campsite where i was staying with my sister and her boyfriend. The snake was taken about 400 meters away from our tent in a cardbord box and released unharmed. The snake was there first! Why should it die because we went into its territory? Snakes are not dangerous...people are ignorant!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts