Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, just joined this forum. Wonder if you can help - I've only had my red bearded dragon for a couple of weeks and he is doing really well. However, I've just noticed his tail has changed colour - it's gone darker than the rest of his body! Is this normal?!! Luke

·
Registered
846 Posts
Firstly welcome to the forum

is there a chance you can post pics of it??

how old is the dragon, is he the only one you have got(kept wth others)
what temps are you viv etc

sometimes a dragons tail ,limbs can change colour due to getting ready to shed,and sometimes they change body colour when upset/cold

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Firstly welcome to the forum

is there a chance you can post pics of it??

how old is the dragon, is he the only one you have got(kept wth others)
what temps are you viv etc

sometimes a dragons tail ,limbs can change colour due to getting ready to shed,and sometimes they change body colour when upset/cold

Spot on, i was going to say the same things lol

·
Registered
846 Posts
forgot to ask how much of the tail has darkened and can he still use it as normal, is there any cuts on it

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Is it changing colour or does it look like a infection or cut or something??

Some dragons are just red....

·
Registered
959 Posts
Probably nothing to worry about, and the beardie is just shedding, but it would be useful if you could answer Nursey's questions.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Well thats my female! Perhaps we should let them meet and get some serious reds out!
Hehe now there's an idea! only thing being, he's such a lazy git now, just sits there all day long looking misrable, He's even lazy catching food now and i'm having trouble keeping up his weight. So he's now being fed on his own.

BTW, my Beardies tend to go dark in places just before a shed! So completely normal. :)

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Hehe now there's an idea! only thing being, he's such a lazy git now, just sits there all day long looking misrable, He's even lazy catching food now and i'm having trouble keeping up his weight. So he's now being fed on his own.
Mines just come out of brumation and everytime he see's one of the girls he goes mental! and I mean mental! In saying that we are having trouble getting him to eat properly... He did have a few last night but they are really the first crickets he's eaten since October/November! :shock:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my red bearded dragons tail

well i have just looked at it and his tail is still darker and it looks like it is slightly peeling and if u could sujest anything to do or why it is happening i would be very gratfull cheers.

·
Registered
846 Posts
when you say peeling do you mean the skin around the tail is peeling off, sounds like what i said first of all it was darkening to get ready to shed.
pictures would help if you could take them.

if it is shedding then upping the temp slightly helps and possible bathing him(water no deeper than his shoulder) in a shallow luke warm bath

1 - 12 of 12 Posts