Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me where to get a decent tank :?: as i dont trust it in garden rough neighbour hood
he is 8yrs old and about 8inches long got given it today in a long fish tank with just a rock to sit on and a lizard heat mat
just want to do the best i can for him as he has been feed on tourtoise food which was no good for him so the owner gave him to me as to expensive to keep :!:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Decent size tanks are easy to come buy mate just keep an eye in local paper or free adds, also try aquarist classifieds.
Whats the heat matt sposed to be for then :?:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got the heat mat with him to keep the water between 22-24degrees thats what the books say any tips on how to keep one are welcome :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
how bigs the tank mate.
you need to sort out a proper aquarium heater first of as a heat mat under the tank is just too dodgy.
you also need a basking area with lamp ,uv and very good filteration too.
Try and avoid comercial pellet turtle food as its pants, go for more natural foods, prawns,meat fish etc but youre adult red ear will also take greens so put a bit of wild rocket or something like this in the tank for it too eat too but dont leave it in there for ages.
also give it a bit of cuttle fish bone to nibble at too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tank measures length 30inches width 12inches depth 15inches
think it is to small as only 2inches to turn round in

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
thats definately too small for it.

i have my 2 terrapins that are 4 and 5 inches long in a 48 x 12 x 18 tank, which is plenty of room for the 2 of them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Heres somewhere where you should be able to find a decent sized tank and if you make the journey there then you will be able to get everything else ou need

www.wharfaquatics.co.uk

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
personally i would'nt use an in tank heater or filter as they have a nasty habit of chewing through the cables and breaking aquarium heaters by knocking them against the side or lifting them out of the water on their backs, this is dangerouse to you and the turtle. I know it's expensive but i would go for an external filter and an external heater and a much larger tank, it flicks its legs twice and it's at the other end.
Well done for trying to provide him with a better life they are a lot to take on but worth it.IMO.

Della

1 - 11 of 11 Posts