Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
We have an open fire which we light in the winter. This is in the same room that we are going to house the red eye tree frogs.
Is that ok or will their skin absorb the smoke (not that there is a lot!) and cause issues?
Thank u

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
That could be a bit dodgy, to be honest- all frogs are very sensitive to fumes, and RETs are notoriously sensitive and stress-prone. Just my opinion, though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you :2thumb: they are about 3m from the fire. In a glass tank. The fire doesn't exactly smoke into the room of course it goes up the chimney! But I think I will keep an eye on them and if they seem off at all, we will move them. Thanks again

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi there

The sulpher from the coal will be a death sentence to the frogs. I have a coal/wood stove and won't keep any frogs in the same room.

Although the chimney will remove most smoke, there will be suficiant amounts of sulpher in the air to kill them, similar to the acid rain situation!

Hope this helps

Andrew

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi
Thank you Andrew, we havent lit the fire yet... this mild weather means we havent had to.
But when we do - we will certainly take the frogs out, always best to air on the side of caution.
Thank you
Clair

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I don't know about air contaminants but my initial concern would be extreme temperature fluctuations and possibly fatigue from prolonged elevated temperatures.
How about putting a desk/room fan on top of the tank blowing air away, just incase?
To blow air in one direction it must draw it in from the other so all it will do is circulate the same air unless there is a source of fresh air behind the fan.

·
Registered
25,127 Posts
I don't know about air contaminants but my initial concern would be extreme temperature fluctuations and possibly fatigue from prolonged elevated temperatures.

To blow air in one direction it must draw it in from the other so all it will do is circulate the same air unless there is a source of fresh air behind the fan.
Well I'd asume it was in a corner somewhere nowhere near the fire. It all depends on how the room is arranged.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts