Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a baby red foot tortoise and am wondering if anybody has any advice for me? I'm planning on keeping it mainly indoors while it is small, is that a good idea? What is the best substrate and how big should an indoor inclosure be? Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Redfoots are a joy to keep and are not a shy species at all, in fact they are very inquisitive and outgoing.

Being from a tropical climate they are active all tear round and don't hibernate. I have kept a few over the years sucessfully in vivariums over the winter months. They require high humidity and the plastic type vivs such as Herpetek, Vision, Pennine and the likes work well.

They are omnivores meaning that they will eat small protein offerings such as cooked chicken and the likes the odd day however, their staple diet should be veggies and a small bit of fruit.

Plenty of care sheets available on line but yes, a great choice of Tortoise.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about making a wooden turtle table for them, I don't know if you've heard of those? If you have heard of them though, do you think one would be good?

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
do you mean a tortoise table, an open topped enclosure/house, if so I think you might have trouble keeping the humidity that I think tropicals need, although I don't really know anything about them. I do know they can get fairly big again only having seen them in zoos etc where they have mostly been or have the use of a greenhouse, hothouse often on the floor where the tropical birds live. If you kept the room in a house humid you'd have problems with damp so I assume a viv is probably the best bet untill its to big then you'd be looking at a greenhouse or conservatory. I suggest you also join other forums such as shelled warriors as I know there are redfoot keepers on there but not sure who keeps them on here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you and yes that's what I meant. And you're right, I hadn't even thought about how difficult that would be to keep the humidity up. What size viv do you think would be best?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I don't keep them my self but my mate does and he keeps his on a table
And they do fine so much so they breed I wouldn't say they are that big either

1 - 6 of 6 Posts