Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there anyone who have red necked keelback snake as a pet?
I have this snake and this is 4th time to have this snake as a pet.
BUT, they cannot live long, just 4 or 5 month.
I doubt the feeding is not good, I give a flog 2 times per week. but this is not enough for their nutrition.
SO, if someone have this snake, pls share me what do you feed?

Thank you in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
Are you providing UVb lighting?

Are you treating the snake for parasites, and are you feeding frogs that have been treated for parasites?

If you're buying wild caught snakes, not treating them for parasites and feeding them wild caught feeders that haven't been treated for parasites, that could easily be the reason for such poor results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Firstly, don't get anymore until you have done a great deal of research into keeping any animal.
Have you kept other types of snakes? Do you have the correct set up for the type your keeping?
4 times killing a snake is a serious concern!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,635 Posts
Given that you are from Japan I'm assuming you are catching these wild? I would strongly suggest you DONT. They are dangerously venomous, albeit very reluctant to bite.
Here in the UK, a keeper needs a licence to keep this species. As this is a costly licence to get, I'm fairly certain nobody keeps these here. Those keeping venomous snakes under licence go for "proper" venomous species.
I suspect you are collecting heavily parasitised snakes, or feeding the wrong prey. They are mainly toad eaters, as they store the toxin from the toads in their own neck glands (this is both a venomous and a poisonous species).
Or you are just not keeping them correctly with a suitable heat source and environment.
I would suggest you just leave them where they are rather than catch them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33,443 Posts
Are there anyone who have red necked keelback snake as a pet?
I have this snake and this is 4th time to have this snake as a pet.
BUT, they cannot live long, just 4 or 5 month.
I doubt the feeding is not good, I give a flog 2 times per week. but this is not enough for their nutrition.
SO, if someone have this snake, pls share me what do you feed?

Thank you in advance.
Disregarding your failure to keep one, do you know what you're dealing with? These are potentially dangerous rear fanged venomous snakes with venom strong enough to kill you. They're up there with boomslangs & Kirtland's tree snakes, among the most dangerous rear fanged snakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you providing UVb lighting?

Are you treating the snake for parasites, and are you feeding frogs that have been treated for parasites?

If you're buying wild caught snakes, not treating them for parasites and feeding them wild caught feeders that haven't been treated for parasites, that could easily be the reason for such poor results.
Thank you for your reply.
I don't treat the snakes and the feeding frogs for parasites.
I will try it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Firstly, don't get anymore until you have done a great deal of research into keeping any animal.
Have you kept other types of snakes? Do you have the correct set up for the type your keeping?
4 times killing a snake is a serious concern!
Noted with thanks.
Yep, I have other snakes and they live long expect for the red necked keelback snakes.
But, til I have confidence to have this snake, don't get anymore as you comment.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top