Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a red sided garter snake i have the viv all set up for it i was wonderering if any one could tell me if i can put it in a viv with a corn snake approx the same size and if you could give me any other info on them cos im gettin :x mad lookin at the other sites i jus wanna get to the point thanx :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Can you put it in with a corn snake? Theoretically you could as they have the roughly the same temp requirements, but it's not a good idea to keep more than one snake per viv, even if they are the same species.

There are many practical reasons not to keep snakes together - risk of cannibalism, possible combat, having to separate them to feed, and more.

At the end of the day, snakes aren't sociable creatures and gain no benefit whatsoever from being housed together - if anything it would just cause them stress, which could lead to other health problems.

So I'd say don't do it!

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I wouldn't do it either - even snakes of the exact same species prefer to be alone except for breeding. They may curl up together in the same area, but all they are doing is competing for the best spot in the viv and get stressed. My female hognose even started to eat her partner (she wasn't with us then) - luckily it was spotted in time and they got him out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts