Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the squirrels are still here, but not for much longer. Barry has finally finished building the pen (in our garage) and this morning he has dismantled it into panels, loaded it into a hire van and I've just waved him off to start assembling it on site! So hopefully they will be going off to their new home next weekend!

Will I be sad to see them go? Course I will! Feel a bit sad thinking about it cos I've got so attached to them, which was never my intention and which probably wouldn't have happened, if they'd been able to go sooner!

They've come on in leaps and bounds and about 3 weeks ago, the ear tips appeared and they are quite huge now (as are the squirrels, who I looked at the other day and thought "getting fat"!) and the tails are wonderful! You can see in the photograph taken at 18 weeks that the tips are just starting to grow.

17 weeks dozing in nest box

18 weeks stealing a muffin (or attempting to steal it!) on the workbench

20 weeks being nosy

20 weeks again

And again

Finally, a couple more mpegs uploaded on You Tube

YouTube - 20 wk old red squirrel nest building (or attempting to!)

YouTube - 20 wk old red squirrel trying to build a nest! Part 2

YouTube - 20wk old red squirrel trying to build a nest-Part 3

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
great looking reds mate and great pics :D

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awwww keep them keep them keep them!!
I wish I could! But they are wild animals and should be out there living their natural life - it just wouldn't be fair to keep them!

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
I couldn't do it.. I'd spend the rest of my life looking out the window and worrying that they weren't finding food or were ill or injured.. and the not knowing would kill me!

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
oh my god im soooooooooooo jealous. i saw these in real life last month when i was up scotland and im obsessed with them now. easily the prettiest animal ive ever seen. ive hand reared greys..are they different from them cause greys are shits :D hehe

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ive hand reared greys..are they different from them cause greys are shits :D hehe
Not by the sound of it!!! These are little shits too! I had them out for some exercise this afternoon and forgot to change into 'squirrel proof jeans' - my legs are shredded.

They've chewed the polystyrene tiles on the utility room ceiling, eaten their way into a couple of unopened cereal boxes which I keep on top of the wall units in the utility room, chewed a couple of the knobs on the kitchen units, chewed along the fascia at the top of the units and yesterday I noticed one of them chewing the enamel off the side of the oven unit!

I've found hazelnuts in my knickers, because they keep burying them in the back of our necks - it's certainly never been dull!

Barry came home today from starting erecting the pen and the lady whose garden they are going into said she had 3 red squirrels in the garden only yesterday, so that's great news and very encouraging - that they'll see wild ones every day and hopefully follow them in the spring.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
lol yup just the same :D
good luck with the release

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
They are just beautiful!!

Have seen them in Cumbria, but never once in the 3 years we've lived in Northumberland. I tell myself that's a good thing - it means they're keeping out of the way of humans lol

You've done a fantastic job. You must be so proud of them, even though it'll be awful to see them go.

·
Registered
320 Posts
You have done a fantastic job with these little guys! Wish you loads of luck with the move to the new pen.
One step closer to your goal :2thumb:

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
They look like they're loving it, well done :)

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went to see how they were getting on last week. Part of me confesses to have been a little disappointed that they appeared not to recognise me and didn't rush over shouting "mummy", but most of me was delighted that they were already beginning to forget me, which can only auger well for their future once they are released in the spring.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Thank you for being responsible for not wanting to keep them. They are beautiful....how did you come to have them?

·
Registered
651 Posts
gorgeous, dont think i'd be able to let them go :whistling2:

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for being responsible for not wanting to keep them. They are beautiful....how did you come to have them?
I work at a wildlife sanctuary. The owners had left for holiday the morning that they were brought in and it was obvious they needed intensive care. So, because we were 2 staff down and everyone had more than their own work to cope with, I decided it was better to take them home than leave them in the care of a staff rota.

They were found on the ground with their broken drey in a bush in someone's garden. No sign of the mother - the people who found them thought maybe a predator had got her. They were about 14 days old and weighed 38g & 40g respectively when I got them home.

·
Creator of RFUK - Now Retired.
12,466 Posts
Not by the sound of it!!! These are little shits too! I had them out for some exercise this afternoon and forgot to change into 'squirrel proof jeans' - my legs are shredded.

They've chewed the polystyrene tiles on the utility room ceiling, eaten their way into a couple of unopened cereal boxes which I keep on top of the wall units in the utility room, chewed a couple of the knobs on the kitchen units, chewed along the fascia at the top of the units and yesterday I noticed one of them chewing the enamel off the side of the oven unit!

I've found hazelnuts in my knickers, because they keep burying them in the back of our necks - it's certainly never been dull!

Barry came home today from starting erecting the pen and the lady whose garden they are going into said she had 3 red squirrels in the garden only yesterday, so that's great news and very encouraging - that they'll see wild ones every day and hopefully follow them in the spring.
Aww, the pics were great... showed the wife and she wanted pet squirrels...... riiiigggght up to the point I read her the quoted post! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts