Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wee fella is starving, i know him, he is. b ut he boked on saturday, and it wasnt fresh! This is the one that is a little thin after he went on the run for 8wks. how long should i leave him before feeding?

Cheers

Rona

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
after one of my corns did this I was told leave it for 10 days...

May be wrong though so im sure a grown up will come along soon! lol
x

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
when snakes regurge they get rid of all the bacteria in their stomachs that help with digestion, i'd leave it at least a week for these bacteria to rebuild themselves or you could just get another regurge.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ta. he is a tiny beastie. only about 9mths or so. will leave for a week, but he looks like he will bite my hand off before then~!!

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Regurging is stressful on the snake - when my adult hoggy regurged once last year (it was before a shed) I was advised to leave it 10 days before feeding again, and if the next one is regurged I think I'd get the vet to check out, especially if it went off for a run somewhere ...

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
It takes approximately 3-4 days to rebuild the gut flora depending on the size of the regurge.

I would suggest you try feeding again on day 5, but use something much smaller than you normally would.
This will show you if there is a problem with his digestive system and will also give him a needed energy boost.

If all goes well i would then resume a normal regime.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've always been told to leave them 7-10 days before feeding again and as retic says maybe offer him something smaller.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regurging is stressful on the snake - when my adult hoggy regurged once last year (it was before a shed) I was advised to leave it 10 days before feeding again, and if the next one is regurged I think I'd get the vet to check out, especially if it went off for a run somewhere ...
funily enough the spew was right at the head of his shed. he shed that day, if fact, that same instant. i hope it is nothing to worry about

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Probably just the shedding process then, just keep an eye on it. Hopefully everything will resume normally next feed. Our first snake was our BP and I always used to feed her shed or no shed with no problems, but since my hoggy incident they are all just made to wait rather than go through the extra stress - the royal had a 2 week gap between feeds this last time due to shed but once it was all done and I fed her she struck like a boa :crazy:

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probably just the shedding process then, just keep an eye on it. Hopefully everything will resume normally next feed. Our first snake was our BP and I always used to feed her shed or no shed with no problems, but since my hoggy incident they are all just made to wait rather than go through the extra stress - the royal had a 2 week gap between feeds this last time due to shed but once it was all done and I fed her she struck like a boa :crazy:
Thanks Raz. I never saw a problem with feeding while shedding, now i understand. It is not just about getting a clean shed. Sure he will be fine, never misses a feed, and always looking for more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts