Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently in the process of making an enclosure for common frogs breeding in spring, it all started I guess when I was a kid but now not a single frog in the garden for about 5 years, my question is would people actually purchase them to release into gardens and local ponds

·
Registered
39 Posts
Strictly speaking I'm not sure it would be legal to re-introduce frogs bred in captivity into the wild. I believe that technically you are allowed to keep specimens from the wild in captivity and even breed them to sell the offspring ,provided you can prove they are captive bred, but I don't THINK you would be allowed to then release those offspring.

If you did you would need to take a lot of precautions to avoid accidentally introducing a pathogen like chytrid into a new environment.
have a look at "Celtic reptile & amphibian" as they are breeding all of our native species and will be able to give you more specific advice.

Legality -

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'm currently in the process of making an enclosure for common frogs breeding in spring, it all started I guess when I was a kid but now not a single frog in the garden for about 5 years, my question is would people actually purchase them to release into gardens and local ponds

Pretty sure it’s illegal. I remember someone on here trying to sell some frogs year or so ago and even the eggs from their pond as didn’t want them and were told it’s illegal and you can get a hefty fine if caught. Maybe see if a local neighbour has some and you can love from one pond to another?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply but it's come to my knowledge that theyres no restrictions on captive bred specimens

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Hi in response to this query and to your PM, I'm afraid I am only able to advise in relation to Wales, and not to other parts of the UK.

In Wales there used to be system of 'General Licences' whereby effectively everyone who wanted to was covered by a standing licence for specific activity, provided they complied with any conditions. In relation to common frogs for example, this General Licence was in place to allow sale to e.g. schools for teaching dissection.

In 2011 Welsh Government advised me that this General Licence had been withdrawn two years previously, and there was doubt over whether anyone was making use of it. During that two years, if anyone wanted to sell common amphibian species, then they would have to apply to WG direct for a personal licence. However, nobody did, which confirmed that a General Licence was obsolete if no-one was making use of it.

Therefore in Wales you now have to apply for a personal licence, and there are application forms online. However, these are now administered by Natural Resources Wales (NRW), so if you google NRW protected species licences, then you should be able to find the forms.

I can only think that in England, either Natural England or DEFRA would be able to advise on whether the system of General Licences is still in place, or whether you would have to seek a personal licence to sell species such as common frogs.

Please note that licensing for EPS such as Great Crested Newts or Natterjack Toads is a different issue.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Also, as has been said many times on forums such as this, the sale of captive-bred animals is not an offence, only wild caught animals, for which you would need a licence.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Finally, unless I've misread your intentions, I would say that I do not agree with selling species such as Common Frog as some sort of conservation measure to help protect the species. The risk of transmitting diseases by moving animals around the country is too high, and Common Frogs are nowhere near being in so much trouble that the conservation benefits outweigh the risk of spreading Chytrid etc.

The best advice is to encourage people to create ponds, don't put fish in them, and if amphibians are in the area and can get to the pond then they will inevitably turn up and breed. It may take a few years but they will get there eventually without the need for introducing animals for somewhere else in the country.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts