Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm starting to think about heating the rep room for the winter and am looking for some recommendations on decent heaters with timers.

It doesn't need to be anything overly powerful as the room had 2 beardies and 1 rankin in, so they can handle relatively low temps anyway, but I need something to give the room a boost as our house turns into a tomb in the winter.

Money isn't an issue (hence the early post, good amount of saving time) so if anyone can point me in the direction of a goodun, it would be much appreciated :)

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Personally I dont trust them. If they go wrong they can overheat the entire room and lose your cool sides.

In a stanard house your central heating is fine

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Personally I dont trust them. If they go wrong they can overheat the entire room and lose your cool sides.

In a stanard house your central heating is fine
I agree with this, There was a post recently where someone had a malfunction with a heater in the reptile room and he lost what i could guess at was 75% of his entire collection.
I may be off on the circumstances but i really feel for the person as accidents happen.

Remember 10-15C is as cold as it gets at night in australia and so unless your house gets colder than that with the heating on you dont need to worry. (10-15C and i would be freezing my backside off and turning the heating up!)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
i would spend money on lining the room with insulation board 50mm foam with foil coating, its very cheap and the best insulation out there.

in our rep room all the heatmats in the racks keep the room nice with no other heating

the hatchling room lined the same with celotex insulation board and as its in a seperate building i do have 1 oil fired heater set on very low and that keeps the room itself mid 70s easily all winter

insulation is the key, not heating.

Reactions: Mal

·
Registered
489 Posts
Just make sure the room is well insulated. I'd only consider buying a separate heater if your rep room/house hasn't already got central heating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts