Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
not sure what type you got but mine is like a mini section of astrotuf! My leos have never got stuck on that!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've had one now for about 3 months for my beardie's and tbh i think they're great,
I dont have to worry about them eating sand and it's alot easier to clean out my viv now, only prob is when they poo it has to be washed alot but thats cool.
Have ya tried the other side ?
J

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
ive always thought it was a bit too wirey aswell. i only have it in my chameleons viv as he never goes to the bottom anyway. I guess there will be different brands and the one you have sounds like the same as mine. I wouldnt think to use it in my geckos viv, i think their skin is too delicate for it, though theres probably softer types.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
solidius said:
but to me the other side is rough like its meant to be the back and would surely be too rough ?

another thing my geckos keep trying to dig on it

would i be ok creating a sand pit for them to just dig in not to feed on
as in i take it out when they feed to stop impaction ?
Might be easier creating a sand-free feeding area for your gecko rather than having a sand pit because I doubt the sand will stay in the pit for very long :lol: Or you can try other substrates, there are a number of different things that you can use as flooring :D

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blazey said:
ive always thought it was a bit too wirey aswell
exactly :lol:

i think im going to change to lino just i thoaght the geckos would have trouble manouvering around on such a shiny surface .i.e no grip do other people have problems with this i dont want to stress them out ?

why isnt there a perfect substrate made for geckos its annoying

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
we use lino for our beardies and i've currently got it in dons viv now til his toes completely heal. I really like the stuff as its easy to clean but I think i remember my mum saying someone disagreed with her using it but i never read the topic to know what was wrong with it. I personally think its great.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blazey said:
we use lino for our beardies and i've currently got it in dons viv now til his toes completely heal. I really like the stuff as its easy to clean but I think i remember my mum saying someone disagreed with her using it but i never read the topic to know what was wrong with it. I personally think its great.
yeah i think its great as its wipe clean aswell still allows heat from mats.
i was just concerned how the leoprad geckos felt being on such a smooth surface with not much grip.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
the repti carpet ive used on occasion is black rubber on the underside, its made by zoo med im 99% sure.

not had probs but i dont like it personally.

U know the stuff u can get in brick form, add water, etc its cocnut husk stuff.. im using that for our bosc [not working out to well] and our leo [working very well] at the moment.
if its kept dry as it would be in many gecko vivs its ideal, wont stick to food items, looks lovely etc.
might be worth considering in future if u havent tried it.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
woo hoo
first double post lol
EDIT

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DEANandTRESE said:
the repti carpet ive used on occasion is black rubber on the underside, its made by zoo med im 99% sure.

not had probs but i dont like it personally.

U know the stuff u can get in brick form, add water, etc its cocnut husk stuff.. im using that for our bosc [not working out to well] and our leo [working very well] at the moment.
if its kept dry as it would be in many gecko vivs its ideal, wont stick to food items, looks lovely etc.
might be worth considering in future if u havent tried it.
Where can i get that ? anmychance u could take a picture of it so i can see :D

·
Registered
13,813 Posts

·
Registered
13,813 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I'm building a massive set of stacks soon and all I was going to do is buy a big roll of astro turf off the net. You can get it in some garden centres as well.... Much cheaper than the advertised reptile carpet. Its basically the same but again money added on because it has a pretty picture of a lizard of the front!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
welshgaz said:
I'm building a massive set of stacks soon and all I was going to do is buy a big roll of astro turf off the net. You can get it in some garden centres as well.... Much cheaper than the advertised reptile carpet. Its basically the same but again money added on because it has a pretty picture of a lizard of the front!
will that have whispy bits protruding on the surface as i feel i would encounter them biting the substrate when they go to eat the crickets

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
solidius said:
welshgaz said:
will that have whispy bits protruding on the surface as i feel i would encounter them biting the substrate when they go to eat the crickets
Depends on the astro turf I guess.... I've used repti carpet in my leos viv for over a year now and had no problems with it at all...

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
ive just got rid of my sand and put lino in,its a pebble effect,came from B n Q and the pebbles are slightly raised so its not slippy at all,ive also covered some of it with kitchen roll as it seems to radiate the heat abit too much for my liking but it looks kinda natural and once everythings back in there you dont see much anyway my leo seems happy enough with it :D

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Ive used lino with the geckos with no problems not eventhem slipping. if anything they seamed to grip to it like rubber on rubber :lol: Like badgers mum says if you put some rocks/pebbles down it will help make it look more natural plus it gives them something to wear their nails down on :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts