Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I’ve been enquiring about these for the last couple of months as they are extremely low wattage in comparison to other ceramics and your animal is not meant to burn themselves on them if they are touched. So finally bit the bullet and bought 5! :shock:

First glance at them and they are thin and very un-intrusive compared to a ceramic bulb and cage. My current set up is I have two 3*2*2ft cages, one with a 150w ceramic and another with a 250w ceramic. These are for my corn & royal and run off a single day/night stat. Temps in the corn viv’ was a hot spot of 90f and ambient temp of 84-85f. Temps in the royals were hot spot of 95f and ambient of 85-86f due to the extra wattage on the ceramic :wink:

Anyway I installed 2 of the radiators 1 in each viv’s. The temperatures I have now are 84f ambient temperature and a hot spot of 90f. These are exactly the same as the others but the radiators are working harder than the ceramics ever did. My ambient room temperature at the minute is around 77-79f with the outside temp being an average of around 55f. There is no heating in this room (i.e. gas heating) otherwise I’d run it.

The hot spot of 90f is produce at a distance of around 20”, if you put a basking ledge higher up your basking temp increases quite considerably the higher you go. My royal has a branch to do this but never uses the damn thing! Yesterday I installed another 2 in my dragons viv’s, but I’ll gather that info and post it into the lizard section.

One thing of note is that my radiators are hot to the touch. If your snakes can touch them they will burn if they touch longer than 2-3 secs. They are not as dangerous as a ceramic bulb though but are sill hot enough to burn in my view.

I would also like to add that I have had feedback from two different people on these. They both come up with very similar readings but the one doesn’t have a problem with the heaters being too hot. I think this is because the heaters are not working as much as mine. If the pulse was much shorter the surface temp’ of the radiators would be much less imo.

I think these are worth the investment, but your ambient room temp I think needs to be 70f+ or consider using a heat matt too. Consider a ceramic set up is a bulb, cage, holder, plug & heat resistant wire you’re still talking a total of £45 brand new min. You can get these for £50. Then consider the much reduced power it takes to run them. I will add some pictures up later (in work at the minute :)) and you will probably see a little better about what I mean and where the temp readings are from! Any questions and I’ll answer them . . .

Hope this helps people
- welshgaz

:thumb:

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
you've got points for and against using them, so are they better then ceramics and can you get guards? if not i wouldnt touch them, especially as you've said they will burn after 2-3 seconds.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
markhill said:
you've got points for and against using them, so are they better then ceramics and can you get guards? if not i wouldnt touch them, especially as you've said they will burn after 2-3 seconds.
I personally think they are good enough to replace any 150w ceramic in terms of heat. They won't kick out enough to replace a 250w but if you use two of them I reckon they will no problem. In all other aspects they win hands down. Cheaper possibly, more economical, cleaner and non-inrusive.

As for gaurds the documentation on the Habistat site says there are guards you can buy but I havn't found them for sale. . . In saying that it would be easy to make one. Its only a metal box. I found that the guards on the ceramic bulbs will get hot enough to burn snakes and my corn could completely wrap around his, he can't with the radiator!

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I wonder if it is economical.

The radiators work on full for longer than the higher powered ceramics that work for less time. I think you'll find that they are about the same in terms of energy consumption.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
reticulatus said:
I wonder if it is economical.

The radiators work on full for longer than the higher powered ceramics that work for less time. I think you'll find that they are about the same in terms of energy consumption.
Not according to my electricity meter!

I see where your coming from but the ceramics were on close to what the Radiators are now. I think they are much more efficient if used in the correct ambient temperature. I think if you have a larger wattage than whats needed to heat your viv you waste more electricity.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
are the rads more cost effective to run than say a 23watt heat mat? or heat mats in general? seen these things but was never sure about them as i used 3 mats in my viv and wondering if using one or two of these would be cheaper :?

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
The reptile radiator IS a heat mat - it just happens to be in a different casing.

The reason you don't get high wattage mats is due to the plastic casing melting when used on higher wattages.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
i would of thought the internals of the rad would be different to that of a heat mat hence the price differences etc?

and yeah i know why high wattage is not used in heat mats

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dans right.. Radiators are based on exaclty the same technology as heat mats, but they can withstand a higher temperature.

The radiator directs heat down like the sun does were heat mats, I personally think, are either used for belly heat or creating a general ambient temp'. Some lizards/snakes need the heat radiated down to replicate the sun. I've never had a whole viv heated via mats though but I would think its pretty much the same apart from heat direction.

I've actually got a heat mat set up under the hot spot to raise the temps up a little and not let the radiator work as hard.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
ah so not worth getting for me then as i have two heat mats on the floor and one mounting on the side as high as possible, i only have a light in there for me to see what the little buggars are up to on a night :D with regards to heat ive never had to use a ceramic or heat bulb to provide heat, i just used a high mounted mat, seems to provide the necessary hot spot and ambient temps for me :D

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ianyork said:
ah so not worth getting for me then as i have two heat mats on the floor and one mounting on the side as high as possible, i only have a light in there for me to see what the little buggars are up to on a night :D with regards to heat ive never had to use a ceramic or heat bulb to provide heat, i just used a high mounted mat, seems to provide the necessary hot spot and ambient temps for me :D
If it ain't broke don't fix it as they say!

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Cheers for that Gaz...think I will invest in several seeing as one of my ceramics blew the other day and Ive only used it for 2 weeks. :evil:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NNY said:
Cheers for that Gaz...think I will invest in several seeing as one of my ceramics blew the other day and Ive only used it for 2 weeks. :evil:
Exo-terra by any chance?? There ceramics are what you call [email protected]@x! As are zoo-med... had both and they all pop after a short time, pearlco are the way to go. They've been producing ceramics for years and exo-terra & zoo med have juts jumped on the band wagon

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Yeah was exo terra... bought it about 6 months ago but didnt fit it until the other week.. and then it just stopped working... think the radiators are the way forward...

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Ian, the dimensions are different because the radiators have insulation on the top, other than that it's just a heatmat :D

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK as promised here are the pictures . . .

Viv' with the Ceramic Bulb & Cage . . .

This is with the Radiator fitted . . .

You can even see my amel in this one . . .

and both viv's fitted and closed back up . . .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts