Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can any one shed any light on these at all. are they like a ceramic bulb but just with a bigger surface area?

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Are they for heating entire rooms?

·
Registered
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all it said:

" A slim 75W heater ideal for background heating in medium to large vivariums, the directional heat also acts as a basking spot.
Must be guarded and conrolled by a thermostat. "

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Weird sounding product that. Probably better off emailing the supplier for an image.

To my mind a radiator is a wall mounted fixture that is either water/oil filled or electrically powered through elements.

Could be anything really with the description they give you.

·
Registered
796 Posts
i use rep rads in my gtps vivs.

they are very similar to ceramics,but the actual rad looks like it is some form of injection moulded plastic/nylon.

being only 75w i think it might struggle to heat a large size viv,they are perfect for creating basking areas in gtp vivs.

i use a gaurd on my rads,altho some people dont bother.all the rads i have bought give off a slight plastic smell for a while when first used,to overcome this i give them a burning in period before puting in a viv.

the instruction book does mention this as being harmless fumes,but it doesnt smell nice imo,hence the burning in period.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
i use rep rads in my gtps vivs.

they are very similar to ceramics,but the actual rad looks like it is some form of injection moulded plastic/nylon.

being only 75w i think it might struggle to heat a large size viv,they are perfect for creating basking areas in gtp vivs.

i use a gaurd on my rads,altho some people dont bother.all the rads i have bought give off a slight plastic smell for a while when first used,to overcome this i give them a burning in period before puting in a viv.

the instruction book does mention this as being harmless fumes,but it doesnt smell nice imo,hence the burning in period.
Now youve said that I think I realise what they are. Ive seen them used with arboreal snakes before, like a black flat unit with mesh on it??

·
Registered
796 Posts
they are grey in colour,and yes like a flat panel maybe an inch and a half thick.

they are mounted on the roof of the viv,nearly all the heat is directed down into the viv,the face thats screwed to the viv roof barely gets warm.

·
Registered
7,519 Posts
What do you want to use it for? I would recommend them but only really for semi-arboreal or arboreal and not for MASSIVE vivs.

·
Registered
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you want to use it for? I would recommend them but only really for semi-arboreal or arboreal and not for MASSIVE vivs.
more out of interest than any thing. was considering it for my boa's viv but don't think i will, i can't see no real advanages to them.

i can see the point in them as you a semi or arboreal viv setup i can see them working very well as there would be not buld hanging down past where they could be.

·
Registered
7,519 Posts
more out of interest than any thing. was considering it for my boa's viv but don't think i will, i can't see no real advanages to them.

i can see the point in them as you a semi or arboreal viv setup i can see them working very well as there would be not buld hanging down past where they could be.
Your better of getting something more powerful or using something else to supplement ambient heat, perhaps another RR? Its hardly worth it though as they are around £70 each plus guards. A mat and RR could work well, but then so would a ceramics and mats, and this would be cheaper.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
I agree with the above. Arboreal only I would imagine. The heat isnt going to create much in the way of a basking spot in a horizontal viv but then in an upright arboreal set up the heat is directed down and is concentrated at the top where the snakes will be most of the time.

·
Registered
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your better of getting something more powerful or using something else to supplement ambient heat, perhaps another RR? Its hardly worth it though as they are around £70 each plus guards. A mat and RR could work well, but then so would a ceramics and mats, and this would be cheaper.
yeah already got the viv with a ceramic, does nicly. as i said was just interested.

·
Registered
7,519 Posts
I agree with the above. Arboreal only I would imagine. The heat isnt going to create much in the way of a basking spot in a horizontal viv but then in an upright arboreal set up the heat is directed down and is concentrated at the top where the snakes will be most of the time.
As long as it is attached to the top bulk of the heat will radiate down, the problem encountered is when the length of a viv exceeds the reach of this ambient heat radiated around the RR. I have one in a 4 ft viv but anything bigger the RR may struggle on its own. You are right though, they very good for vertical thermogradiants and not so much for latural.

yeah already got the viv with a ceramic, does nicly. as i said
was just interested.
Cool, no worries. Their good at what their for :).

·
Registered
446 Posts
To those that use reptile radiators: would you say they were safe enough to use in a pennine vivarium without melting it? I've currently got a 3x18x18 sitting in the corner and acting as storage because I'm paranoid the heat source is going to destroy it (and I'm not keen on the idea of using bits of wood as a buffer). It would be nice to finally get some use out of it.

·
Registered
7,519 Posts
To those that use reptile radiators: would you say they were safe enough to use in a pennine vivarium without melting it? I've currently got a 3x18x18 sitting in the corner and acting as storage because I'm paranoid the heat source is going to destroy it (and I'm not keen on the idea of using bits of wood as a buffer). It would be nice to finally get some use out of it.
I wouldnt risk it as penines warp from heat mats and RR get a hell of a lot hotter. Depends what temp you set it to on the stat though.... Still I wouldnt bother unless you fashion a more solid platform for the RR to attach to?

·
Registered
796 Posts
the face thats screwed to the roof barely gets warm.i have them screwed into 18mm mdf,if i touch the outside of the viv where the rad is mounted its barely noticeable that the rad is on.

i know there isnt any problems using them in rhino vivs,not sure about pennine tho,sorry.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I wouldnt risk it as penines warp from heat mats and RR get a hell of a lot hotter. Depends what temp you set it to on the stat though.... Still I wouldnt bother unless you fashion a more solid platform for the RR to attach to?
oh didnt realize pennines warped with heat mats:gasp: they must be thin/poor quality.

i would be a little cautious using a rep rad in one then.

·
Registered
7,519 Posts
the face thats screwed to the roof barely gets warm.i have them screwed into 18mm mdf,if i touch the outside of the viv where the rad is mounted its barely noticeable that the rad is on.

i know there isnt any problems using them in rhino vivs,not sure about pennine tho,sorry.
The polypropylene is much thicker on Rhinos than Penines : victory:.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts