Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Yesterday I was recommended to use the reptile radiators you can get now rather than ceramics. I gotta be honest my electric bill is through the roof and with these being only 75watts it would help. Even if I had to use two its still only 150w were some of my bulbs are 250w. Whats you view on them?

I think they actually look very good. They are so thin you could barely notice them in the viv's I saw and it will stop snakes from climbing around them. My corn likes climbing around his ceramic gaurd and it can get hot...

I'm wondering on how much heat these will actually produce? They PDF doc says that it can heat a spot 25cm below it to 40 degrees C and easily maintain an average temp of 28 degrees C through a medium size viv (what one of those are is anyones guess)...

Thanks
- welshgaz

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Actually it will be interesting to find out.. might use them myself if they work well for you.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
A would think a medium sized viv is 3ftish. Im using them in 4ft x 15 x 15 vivs at the minute and really like them. They are heating the warm end to about 82F on a stat, they may go a little warmer if I let them.

They are a bit pricy for what is essentially a high density heat mat, but nice and safe and easy to use.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Any idea how long they last before having to by a new one?? Although theyre initially more expensive you dont have to keep changing them.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well considering it they are twice the price of a ceramic bulb but you need a heat gaurd for a ceramic as well, then a ceramic holder, probably cable and a plug... So the initial outlay is exaclty the same.

My question is do they heat the same as a 150w ceramic only being 75w? If they are equivalent then they would be excellant value for money. My rep' room will get very cold in winter and I'm hoping that with all the heat produced by 4 viv's it will heat up nicely. I'd be quite prepared to put two of these radiators in my vivs that one 250w ceramic because the price of running them would be cut in half and that over the winter would get me my £40 for buying one back!

·
Registered
597 Posts
im having a cage built and im having 2 of those heat panels in there, because it will house 2 snakes from babies then 1 adult snake in the future

so pretty much one for each cage and that will be my only heat source

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.