Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kk my mum sez she will think about letting me have a mini rep room in the garage but she needs to know how much the costs will be to run it and every thing

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kk but i only want 4 or mayby 5 do u know any one who has done this

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
pendlehog on here keeps her snakes in a brick shed thing. Im on my way to having the back room just for reptiles eventually when i move all the junk out.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have got to sort out all my junk but do u have any ideas how to keep the temp upn in the garage

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
I think shes just using heat mats but im not sure what she does in the winter. she will probably be online maybe tomorrow and see this so she might reply.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool i wish i could seen how it finished does any 1 no what type of equipment i need

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
At the moment my shed (used to be a small garage) is more than hot enough, so I just use heat mats on stats like you would if the reps were in the house. The reps will be moving by the time winter comes, but last winter we installed a tubular heater (usually used to heat greenhouses) to keep the ambient temperatures up.

This doesn't seem to use an awful lot of electricity, I havent seen the bills shoot up anyway.

The best way to keep bills down is to insulate the shed well, using celotex or a similar product (dont forget to insulate the roof!) If your garage is attached to the house it may already have some insulation - my parents garage does, it also has a radiator!

I can get you some pics if you want, but there isnt much to see!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes plz and my dad is gonig to make a wall were the rep room will be getting snake tomorro but my bf is taking it round his till my dad has finished and that will be late august

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
i just had a shed built in my garden this summer to house my reps i posted pictures of it right through construction. here is the link to the thread.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6212

any questions dont hesitate to ask. in terms of cost...... a lot. :lol:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol i gt the insperation off u and the idea so how much do u want :lol:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
really your best bet is to think of what devices ur gona use, lights, heatmats etc and work out the wattage, then find out how much ur electric company charges.
a hole load of vivs wont cost anymore to run than say..an elecric fire however as those things are generally 2000 watts and i reckon cost about 20p an hour.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i had this idea turn a shelf into a rep vivs has this been dione before and another question what size viv would a dwarf monitor want or what is the smallest monitor and what size viv need-adult monitor that is

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I think thats a really big step to take ... think you should leave that until you're older tbh.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it aint for me though it for my bf and he has a q2 degree on animal care and he wants a monitor but he has no space so i would let him put one in my rep room once it is done

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
If he doesnt have the space maybe he should wait until he does?! What will happen if you break up? Will you be stuck with the monitor because he doesnt have room to house it? Will it have to be rehomed? Obviously you arent planning on breaking up but these things happen.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ye i know that but he is almost 18 so he will be getting a flat in december

1 - 20 of 129 Posts