Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I bought a thermometer to test my room to see if it is warm enough for my praying mantis and to see if it lines up with the other thermometer/hydrometer that I have. the thing is is that there is expensive and cheap thermometers on ebay, the two I have are only like £3-4 and I'm worried that they are inaccurate.

do you use cheap thermometers, expensive ones?

thank you.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Those eBay little digital ones with the probe? I have two in my corn snake viv and two in my python viv.

Each viv runs on a Evo stat, which are £95ish each and display the temperature it actually is aswell as the temperature i require. If i place the probes directly next to each other, they display the same temperature within 0.1°C of each other.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those eBay little digital ones with the probe? I have two in my corn snake viv and two in my python viv.

Each viv runs on a Evo stat, which are £95ish each and display the temperature it actually is aswell as the temperature i require. If i place the probes directly next to each other, they display the same temperature within 0.1°C of each other.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ones I brought have not got a prob as they are just use to measure the room temps.

It's cool to see that it can't be too inaccurate then.

Also If I needed a heat lamp for a insect would it need to be 100% on a thermostat? I was thinking that if I use a lamp stand that I could lift it away from the tank so I can get the perfect temp without it overheating it might be okay?

·
Registered
12,680 Posts
Any similar to these are fairly accurate ..

~~~~<

Any similar to these below are completely useless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12,680 Posts
I know they are cool but are they only good for measuring surface temperatures like under a heat bulb? but a normal digital one is good for measuring ambient temps?

Well the digital temp guns are fabulous for checking all surface temps randomly... sorry can’t speak for yours without seeing a photo ..

If you can’t upload a photo post a link one of yours on a webpage ..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
12,680 Posts
Haven't got one sorry just wondering how they are used but this is the thermometer I have bought https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-...var=472667518643&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648 :2thumb:

Well those are more accurate than the circular, stick on ones I showed above BUT they will ONLY show the ambient air temps which are not as crucial as the warm end surface temps .

The warm end surface temps could be burning hot but not even register on that one ..

You need one of those with a wired probe like the one in my photo

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well those are more accurate than the circular, stick on ones I showed above BUT they will ONLY show the ambient air temps which are not as crucial as the warm end surface temps .

The warm end surface temps could be burning hot but not even register on that one ..

You need one of those with a wired probe like the one in my photo

Ok no worries I understand. I'm only trying to measure the ambient room temp of my room for my praying mantis and she doesn't need any additional heating. So it's not like I need to worry about a different heat lamp or anything. Why would I need one with a prob on it?

·
Registered
12,680 Posts
Ok no worries I understand. I'm only trying to measure the ambient room temp of my room for my praying mantis and she doesn't need any additional heating. So it's not like I need to worry about a different heat lamp or anything. Why would I need one with a prob on it?

Soz . Presumed it was for a snake :)
Just read your last post ..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Soz . Presumed it was for a snake

Just read your last post ..

Hahaha no worries 😂

1 - 14 of 14 Posts