Interesting

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
hmmm, finally some videos of trained reptiles...some people will be happy. :D

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
seen it before, myself an a few other members though alot of the things shown were cruel to do. Yeh the bosc follows for his food, bt he's basically being teased by that to do it :?

im highly against it, and if i'd bought my bosc for that purpose then i dont deserve animals in my opinion.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
a wild caught bosc knws from instinct it has to run for its food to survive, but a captive bred bosc doesnt and expects its food to just be given to him.

There is no training in getting a bosc to follow the scent of food, and boscs climb in the wild anyway so climing up his leg is no big deal.
As for the A to B video, whats that all about? Is it trying to say they trained it to walk or something? i dont understand it cuz Don does that everyday :?

·
Registered
632 Posts
i see what your saying there... but captive bred boscs are at risk when just handed food, some people don't let them out and simply feed them up therefore encouraging the animal to walk for its food could be the best thing, it encourages the natural behaviour of scavenging and encourages excersise (in my case this is not nec as mine has the run of the house in the evenings) but for caged specimens what else is gonna get them moving!? a lazy bosc is potential for a fatal liver problem, which boscs are prone to. i wouldn't call that so much training, more interacting! :D

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
my bosc likes running around the bathroom, dont know why though. maybe he likes perving on my when im washing my hair lol

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I feed mine his roaches in a cup I hold for him - coz I don't want the roaches escaping in his viv - we already have a little colony in his soil I'm sure - and he won't dig much (but I haven't got the right soil mix yet).

Worms I feed him out side of his viv, I toss them further than where's he's stood so he has to go grab them.

Unfortunately in captivity they're never going to get the amount of exercise they naturally would in the wild, they'll often travel miles I learned. We're currently (digs hubby) building an 8ft viv and will fill it with a couple feet of soil mix and try an encourage him to dig his hides/burrows himself. We've got a couple of large hides in his current viv but I'm thinking of withholding them from his new one to encourage him to be "a proper monitor".

As for training videos - we've been through this before recently, and I'm happy for mine to just be a monitor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts