Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing an assignment for college on the sourcing of exotic animals, and one section of it is to list reptiles that must live alone as well as listing reptiles that prefer living in groups.

Can anyone give me suggestions of some reptiles to list?
Thanks! :2thumb:

(Also, new member so apologies for any errors!)

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

There was a thread very similar to this a few days/ a week ago so try and look through the last 5 or so pages in this section. You could both bounce ideas off each other and help each other out halving the work.

I keep many species alone and in groups but I wouldn't say they need to be kept that way, it's just how I choose to do things. So I probably won't be of much use.

EDIT: Maybe it's not as similar as I thought but it might be of some use to you - HERE.

Gavin.

·
Registered
370 Posts
A few people keep ackies, Kimberly rock monitors and sandfish in trios (not all together haha same species per enclosure ) and they tend to work out fine

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
You'll find answers on this are widely varied, quite a lot of keepers are 100% against cohabitation whilst a significant minority (including me) do cohabit.

well obviously, not me, my lizards/snakes, but then I guess I do cohabit, married with kids - doh.

·
Registered
900 Posts
As a base line most reptiles are solitary creatures that do best with minimal contact with cage mates. There are several exceptions that where discussed here: http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/1083824-social-lizard-species.html

There are several 'tricks' and methods to cohabit animals together, but this is pretty vague and don't work always.

It's going to be tricky to make that section of your paper work. I'd define what you would mean with 'non-social' and 'social' as clearly as possible and what qualifications you used. Otherwise you'll get two incredible vague lists.

but then I guess I do cohabit, married with kids - doh.
I'd strongly advise against doing this. A friend of mine lost his female thanks to overbreeding and lost several offspring through fights between young males. I'd buy another viv to house the female and offspring as soon as possible! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts