Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me Again!

Just getting Obi a new light as its due to be changed end of Sept. I see they now do Reptisun 10 (mines 8) Will this overdose Obi or is it the stronger the better??

Advice please!?

Thanks
Bex

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
im sure the 10.0 is for iggys only i think it might harm your bd as it would be twice what they need
manda xx

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
a repti 10 would be better for any dragon, iggy, etc than a 5 or 8... obviously....

uv tubes dont give off anywhere near too much uv, infact they give bare minumum for long[ish] term survival really.

·
Registered
457 Posts
lizard_lover said:
im sure the 10.0 is for iggys only i think it might harm your bd as it would be twice what they need
manda xx
made me laugh

the reptisun 10.0 is about 3 million times less powerful then the sun, well exageration but its a lot weaker by a long long way.

its a good light.

however 2 reptisun 5.0 are better then one reptisun 10.0

also the reptisun 56.0 are a better white light then reptisun 10.0

also reptiglo 8.0 is actually weaker then the reptisun 5.0 and is a worse white light and imo rreptiglo's are poor and markjeted wrognly.

i would take a reptisun 5.0 any day of the week.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
sorry how is a reptisun 8.0 weaker than a 5.0? i always thought the higher the number the stronger the output?

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
not sure about that one either actually........
generally the higher the number the higher the output... although the "5%" "8%" name is inacurate as it doesnt represent the % equivelant in relation to the suns output..

heres an article of some smal interest, i will try dig up exact put out of the tubes mentioned after dinner
http://atphabitats.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
yeh thats the site i was gona go to after dinner and check statistics but had guests round.
It may be worth having a look at the mercury vapour lamp tests too if you are atall concerned about a tube giving off too little or too much uv.

·
Registered
457 Posts
because retiglo are a different output, the 5.0 and 8.0 are percentages of the bubl and what it emits, so are useless to comapre as the reptigl oand rpetisun are different bulbs and 5.0% on reptisun ismore then 5.0% on a reptiglo.

and in the tests on uvguide it shows the reptisun 5.0 is more powerful then the reptiglo 8.o

also the reptisun is a purer better white light and the reptiglo is being linked with eye damage as the blue light it uses is similar to those in tanning tubes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
manda xx

Okay, I had to laugh, 10.0 is the best (besides nattural sun) for beardies, you picked a good choice. 8.0 is good for bearded dragon also, however, 10.0 is much better.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
beardie_4 said:
manda xx

Okay, I had to laugh, 10.0 is the best (besides nattural sun) for beardies, you picked a good choice. 8.0 is good for bearded dragon also, however, 10.0 is much better.
10 is best 2nd to mercury vapour lamps, which in turn are not really as good as natural sunlight..alto they give off comparable amounts of uv under controlled conditions.

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey hey lets not knock Manda thats horrible!!!

Thanks for all your opinons on this! I see that everyone has a different view on these!!!

I decided to stick with the repti 8 as I bought it last week before I come back in here!

Im thinking of putting it under a little shelve in the viv that they sit under nearly all day, Would this be ok??? It would be about 5 inches away from them

·
Registered
88 Posts
As long as it's 6-8" away from your bearded dragon(s), that would be fine... Once your UVB light needs to be replaced, I would highly recomend using the 10.0, it's the best (besides the sun, and MVB), so use it! :lol:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
yes 5 inches away is perfectly fine.
In fact its a good distance, good coverage from there.
even if they couldnt retreat away from it it would still be perfectly safe, but ofcourse im sure the occupants can.
At 5 inches away they will be receiving about 40 u/w cm2
whereas with a repti 10 itd be more like 80 at that distance.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
hmm well i was only trying to help you really dint have to say that did you i as always led to believe that you should only get what your rep needs and no more as it will hurt them thats all so i went with this
manda xx

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
lizard_lover said:
hmm well i was only trying to help you really dint have to say that did you i as always led to believe that you should only get what your rep needs and no more as it will hurt them thats all so i went with this
manda xx
Hi, just kinda thought maybe u thought i was being mean also when i said
------------

a repti 10 would be better for any dragon, iggy, etc than a 5 or 8... obviously....

uv tubes dont give off anywhere near too much uv, infact they give bare minumum for long[ish] term survival really.

---------------------------------------
My post was badly puntuated, the "obviously" was badly placed and i didnt mean to be rude.
In all honesty i didnt even notice who it was who posted what you had manda, i had just read the thread and reply and posted, so i didnt pick up till now that you had been misstreated.
Very sorry.

Dean

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good Good now we can all be friends again!

Another question if i do put it under this shelve is there any way i could end up overdosing them? or because of how weak the light is it wil be ok?

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
as long as they can get away from it no problem.

if they wer stuck within even 12 inches of it all day with no way to get further away you could have probs for lots of reasons but if they are exposed to the uv while basking and then while running around everywhere else they are not then everything should be fine.

Havin said that the tubes dont give off a dangerous amount full stop, being stuck within an inch of it all day would still be giving them no more than what they would be receiving whilst seeking shade in Australia anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts