Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know the requirements for a DWA liscence?
(im not thinking of trying to get one any time soon)

·
Registered
13,813 Posts

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
If I remember rightly you need a secure viv, a double door in the room to make sure it can't escape and the money to get the license.. not sure if its different county to county but thats what I heard.

·
Registered
380 Posts
you also need the fire brigade ispection to ensure you have an air tight room and the money depending on your local council (chances are your council wont allow it anyway) can cost about 3 grand plus your 1 million pound insurance policy you need.... i can go on, it aint really worth it and it would be daft to keep anythinf deadly as a pet lol

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
There are no specific requirements for DWA (I assume you are asking in relation to venomous reps and not DWA mammals...) and each council has their own ideas on what must be done to your room.

In general you require:
A secure room with a double door
Secure, locking vivs
Some knowledge/ability to handle the animals in question (how much depends on your licenser really)
Signage on your vivs (warnings/species info/protocol in case of bite)
Vet inspection

Some councils expect you to install emergency lighting and things too - anyone considering it should really ask their license officer for more details.

Most councils are pretty good about DWA licensing (generally they dont hasve a clue and thus you tell THEM what to do) - though some have never issued a DWA and openly admit they never will! This is somewhat illegal, but what can you do :roll:

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is no set price, the council can charge you anything from as little as a few hundred quid or a few thousand.

it aint really worth it and it would be daft to keep anythinf deadly as a pet lol
You happen to keep 2 of the biggest constrictors in the world(both rank in the top 6)which happen to be deadly in the wrong hands.

You may want to check out the latest news from the DWA in regards to large constictors.

Not every body considers reptiles to be pets, and those that have kept them long enough, bred generations, and have had scientific articles/books published respect and recognise them as captives.

·
Banned
6,045 Posts
rossthedon said:
you also need the fire brigade ispection to ensure you have an air tight room and the money depending on your local council (chances are your council wont allow it anyway) can cost about 3 grand plus your 1 million pound insurance policy you need.... i can go on, it aint really worth it and it would be daft to keep anythinf deadly as a pet lol
Air tight room? I don't think so some how as all you'll end up with is a load of dead animals.

Fire Brigade visit? Not sure on this one either, I know you have to be assessed by a vet and possibly the EHO.

3 grand? Depends on who your local council is, they all vary, some I think are less that £100 and some go up to the thousands.

A million pound insurance policy may not cost that much, it depends on what the insurance company think the risks are.

Not all animals on the DWA list are 'deadly', some of the smaller primates are on the DWA list and I'd hardly class them as 'deadly', same with lemurs, sometimes species are placed on the list due to their specific care requirements and the DWAL ensures that these are taken care of.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i heard that from one of the curators from college (who has the lisence) that lemurs have been taken off

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
There has been a lot of talk of animals being taken off the list, but thus far nothing has actually been removed. The DWAL is being overhauled in the near future, so they may well be coming off then.

It also depends which species he is referring to, as not ever species was on the list to begin with - for example the broad nosed lemur and grey gentle lemur are excepted.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Both those animals are Lemuridae, which are controlled under the DWA. The only exception within the family Lemuridae are Hapalemur (bamboo) lemurs

These lemurs have not been removed from the DWA yet, though a recent DEFRA proposal has suggested they be removed when the DWA is overhauled.

They have also recommended tamarins, owl monkeys, squirrel monkeys, wooly lemurs, porcupines, capybara, some felis species, racoons, coatis, kinkajous, olingos, coatimundi, the biturong, hyraxes, sand snakes, mangrove snakes and the brazilian wolf spider are removed.

Whether any or all of these species will be removed remains to be seen.
If anyone is interested the proposals can be found here: http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/dwaa-two/consultation.pdf

·
Registered
380 Posts
we have the licence, and by air tight i mean as tight as a ducks ass so nothing will get out, air tight and tight as a ducks ass are just a figure of spech.

i wanted to keep some hots at home and it wasnt possible (legally) as the requirements here (scotland, west lothian) were not worth the hassle.
p.s i have care of a HOT at the mo and i even know myself its wrong.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Just out of interest say you had a reptile that wasn't on the DWA but was moved onto it for some reason or another would you have to get a DWA to continue keeping it?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts