Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI THERE, WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD HELP, I GOT A CALL FROM MY FRIEND, SHE SAID THAT HER NEXT DOOR FRIEND HAD FOUND A LIZARD BEHIDE HER RAD, MUCH TO HIS WIFE HORROR, SHE CALLED ME KNOWING I OWN ALOT OF REPTILES, AND ASK IF I WOULD GO ROUND AND HELP, THE ONLY THING THAT I COULD THINK OF BEING GREEN AND LARGE WAS A WATER DRAGON OR AN IGIE,
WHEN I TURNED UP, I FOUND OUT THAT MY FRIENDS HUSBAND HAD GOT THE LIZARD FROM BEHIDE THE RAD.
ID NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT, I HAD A GOOD FEELING THAT IT WAS SOME KIND OF MONITOR, I WAS AMAZED AND VERY EXCITED, THE PEOPLE WHO FOUND THIS BEHIDE THERE RAD HAD SAID THE CAT HAD BEEN STARING AT THE RAD FOR DAYS , SO WHEN THE SON LOOKED HE THOUGHT WAS A DEAD RAD AND WHEN HE LOOK CLOSER DECOVERED A LIZARD THE WIFE AND MOTHER WAS SCEAMING WITH HORROR,
THE HUSBAND HAD SAID THAT THE ONLY WAY IT COULD HAVE GOT IN WAS THOUGH THE CAT FLAP AND THE LIZARD WAS BRIGHT ENOUGH TO GO BEHIDE THE RAD, THEY ASKED WOULD I BE WILLING TO TAKE THE LIZARD AND THAT THEY HAD KNOCKED ON LOTS OF DOORS TO ASK IF ANYONE WAS MISSING A LIZARD BUT COME UP WITH NOTHING, SO THE NEXT DAY I TOOK IT TO MY NORMAL REPTILE SHOP AND THEY COMFIRED WHAT I THOUGHT IT WAS AND ALSO TOLD ME THAT A WEEK BEFORE, A CHINA MAN CAME IN TRYING TO GET RID OF LOTS OF REPTILES (INCLUDING A BLUE TAILED MONITOR THE SAME SIZE3 FOOT) IN PLASIC BAGS, JOHN(THE SHOP KEEPER, TOLD HIM TO TAKE BOXES TO PUT THE REPTILES IN THEM AS HE WASNT GOING TO HAVE THEM TAKEN OUT THE SHOP THE WAY THEY WERE BROUGHT IN AND TO GET OUT HIS SHOP,
THE REPTILES HAD MIGHT AND ALL SOATS, SO WE THINK NOW THIS MAN HAD DUMPED THIS BLUE TAIL MONITOR AND IT BEEN GOD KNOWS WHERE FOR THE LAST WEEK, MUSSIE(THE MONITOR WHICH MY DAUGHTER NAMED) HAD CUTS OVER HIM SO I BATHED AND WASHED HIM WITH SALT AND ANTISEPTIC AND TRYED TO FEED HIM, THEN THE NEXT DAY I CAME HOME TO FIND HE HAD BROKEN THOUGH THE BACK OF MY TANK WHERE THERE IS A SMALL HOLE USED AS AN AIR VENT, WITH HIS SHARP NAILS AND EXCAPED INTO SOMEWHERE IN MY FLAT :evil: , TO MY HORROR AFTER A GOOD HOUR LOOKING FOR THE LITTLE TERROR I FOUND HIM BEHIDE MY STORAGE HEATER AND HAD TO WAIT UNTILL HE CAME DOWN AND OUT ,
WHEN HE FINELY DID HE HAD FURTURE CUTS AND BURNS ONE TO HIS EYE AND BACK OF HEAD, SO CLEANED HIM UP AND TOOK HIM TO THE VETS AND EVEN HE SAID QUITE RARE , THAT HE,S NOT REALLY SEEN ONE BEFORE AND HOW BEAUTIFULL HE WAS , GAVE HIM SOME MEDICATION AND WE WENT ON OUR WAY, I,VE RECENTLY FOUND OUT WHICH IM PLEASED AND QUITE NERVOUS ABOUT THAT HE WILL REACH ABOUT 4 AND A HALF IF NOT 5 FOOT, HIS BEEN HANDLED QUITE ALOT AS HIS VERY GENTLE NOT TO CARM LOW, LOVES TO DO RUNNERS ON ME,

IF ANY ONE COULD TELL ME HOW WIDE HE WILL GET I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW, I HAVE A WICKED NEW ADDITION TO MY REPTILE FAMILY AND IF ANYONE HAS ANY FURTURE INFORMATION THEY WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH ME, IT WOULD BE HELPFULL AND INTERESTING TO RECEIVE, THOUGHT YOU WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MY STORY , HOW STRANGE IS THAT, LOL, THANKS FOR READING[/b]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you :D , if you do manage to come across anyone, please would you let me know, thank you, louise

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, amazing story! :shock: Hope he settles in well and stops trying to escape! Sorry, I don't know anything either, and I imagine you've already looked yourself but I did find this one caresheet online:
http://www.reptileguru.com/care-blue tail.aspx
there's not loads of detail, but might be worth a little look - hope it helps :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Same as above i'm afraid, but i did find in one of my books they are also called Kalabeck's monitor :) absoloutley stunning! He's gonna be a wicked contribution to your collection!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
if you do a quick search on Google then you should find a fair amount of info also i think there are two sub species so would be interesting to find out which one yours is

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Hi Louise

Congrats on your new family member :) I don't know anything about blue tails specifically but can recommend a good place to go for information on monitors generally (www.repticzone.com) to the Monitor forum (I remember there was some talk about them there a little while back)

Be aware though that you will need an 8x4x4 viv for him/her when he's adult with 1-2 ft topsoil/sand/mulch substrate for making burrows. Plus a high basking temp (savs and most other monitors generally require 120-130 degrees basking - though I know of people who go higher).

We're currently constructing a viv for our sav - it almost takes up an entire room :wink:

You'll find monitors to be much different to other lizards - when we got our first monitor it was quite a challenge to find out more about them (a process I still never tire of).

Best of luck with him/her.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys

you all have amazing lizards and snakes, but exspecially the bosc,s, amazing , thanks for the advice and web sites you have sent me i will look at them soon,
my monitor not very active and bearly moves unless i get him out and give him a bath which i do everyday and he only will eat a pinkey a day,i do relise he,s been though alot and will take time to settle in. as soon as i take him to the vets he makes me look like im a lier and is all over the place , he,ll only get active if i get him out the tank, his so tame its unbeliveale :) ,
poor thing constanly hurts himself in same way or another, cant put live food they keep getting onto his hurt bits and eating him. poor feller, sorry for spelling mistakes and rubbish english, dislexic, cant even spell that lol :lol:

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Monitors are normally not that tolerant of handling when new so it's good that he's active (trying to get away?) when he's out. If a new baby monitor just sits on you it's likely sick. Putting him in the bath every day could be a bit stressful for him - it would be better to put in the viv a bowl the monitor can immerse his whole body into.

How are your temps and is he basking?

You could try locusts for feeding - mine loves them rather than crix.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi guys , thanks for the advice really nice of you to take time out to help and i thank you for this, feedback:he doent move one inch at all in the tank i once left him and he was there 2 days without moving,and refuses to eat unless you get him out, and i give him a bath every day because the vet says i have to keep his burns and cuts clean, it,s like having a seconed child his about 9 month to a year old,just more work, love him to bits low wouldnt part with him. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
great story and great job with the rescue hope all goes well :D

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
It's great that he's found a nice home with you :) Mine was "adopted" and is such a character I couldn't part with him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts