Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i rescued a beardie yesterday,she's about 8 months old has a crooked tail and an undershot jaw.the person who owned her before had her for the first 4 months without a uv light,but the last 4 she has had one.so i'm guessing she has metabolic bone disorder/disease.she's very shaky on her leg's,but she is liking the colder end rather than the hot end.she will only eat lochust's with the legs pulled off(sorry to be graphic).i got her yesterday and she is eating dandilion leaves.she's alert,active,and she looks well but i am worried about her bones.is there anything on the market that might help her?

will she be ok with my other 2 females?
ive introduced her to them and they have accepted her,ive fed them all together and they dont fight over the food at all.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i'm sure there are things u can buy specially for MBD but i wouldn't know, don't have any personal experience with it.

but upping the frequency you put calcium supplement on her livefood and veg might be a start

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
yer i would just up the calcium asmuch as you can make sure she is very close to the uv as close as you can get really and hope for the best i hope she pulls threw and will get better
manda xx

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dust the lochust's and spray calcium on the veg but as far as i know she has never touched veg/greens...but i put her with my other 2 and they love dandilion leaves,when she saw what they was doing she also did this.so im hoping she will come round in her own time.

plus she only had a 1ft uv in a 4ft tank and that was in the top of the lid/viv....she is now in with my 2 and the uv is 2 ft long and about halfway down the back of the tank i have.she has really nice markings,i took her because the owner was just going to "dispose" of her.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
i would keep her well away from your other beardies for at least a couple of months, all new reptiles should be quarinteened until you are absolutly sure they are healthy.

As for the MBD get her under a high output uv (at least 8% ) and just give her calcium as usual on her food, you can also get a calcium suplemnt for the water.
good for you for rescuing her :)

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
well done on ur rescue huni, but yea she really should be kept seperate from ur others even if only for a month or so, so u can see if she is clear of nastie's. defo make sure she has an 8 or 10.0 UVB and dust with calcium...but to b honest it sounds like u r doin all u can xx

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
she's had no human contact as far as i know,just shut in a tank in abedroom on her own.when i handle her she is very jumpy,but when i walked in she started waving at me.so i couldnt not take her,she waves all the time.i'll post some pics on the lizard section.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
waving? I gotta see that :D!

Good luck on her health though. Good job on rehoming her. Disposing of her is kinda heartless..

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Hey sorry for really late reply!

I brought some Zol-Cal when Obi was poorly and i thought it was MBD its for getting calcium into reps urgently as its a liquid.

I have never used it but its been opened because I wanted to smell it lol I can post it to you if you want? Save you spending a tenner on something im not using?

If you want me to then pm me your addie and ill pop it in the post
xxxx

·
Registered
28 Posts
stupac said:
i rescued a beardie yesterday,she's about 8 months old has a crooked tail and an undershot jaw.the person who owned her before had her for the first 4 months without a uv light,but the last 4 she has had one.so i'm guessing she has metabolic bone disorder/disease.she's very shaky on her leg's,but she is liking the colder end rather than the hot end.she will only eat lochust's with the legs pulled off(sorry to be graphic).i got her yesterday and she is eating dandilion leaves.she's alert,active,and she looks well but i am worried about her bones.is there anything on the market that might help her?

will she be ok with my other 2 females?
ive introduced her to them and they have accepted her,ive fed them all together and they dont fight over the food at all.
How's your new BD settling in, is she lookin any better. Take my hat off to you for rescuing her! When I first got my BD he was really jumpy, he'd been in an overcrowded viv with siblings who didn't give him a look in! Don't think he got much light, heat or food and he was bullied to bits! I read somewhere that making a BD "burrito" makes them feel safe, tried it and it worked with my little fella. Wrapped him in a towel when I handled him and he settled straight away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts