Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a few photo's of an Iguana that I bought yesterday. This guy belonged to a kid. He had it for two years. He left home to go study and left it with his parents that had no interest in it.

It ended up in a pet shop in a small and filthy viv for about a month it could be more. I could not leave it like that and had to take it. I have no knowledge of Iguanas. I read as much as I can. It roams freely in my house during the day and at night I keep it in a 400liter viv.

It is about two years old. It is aggressive at times and wiped my 8 year old son badly today. I am positive that we will get it tame again.

My wife and Ig

·
Registered
384 Posts
BRILIANT:no1::no1::no1:: victory:
HOPE HE BECOMS TAME AGAIN

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Very nice ! :no1:

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Gorgeous iggy :grin1: Good luck with him :smile:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I built a hobby room on to my house. I am in the process of finishing it. It seems it is going to end up into a walk in viv. He loves sitting on the ladder keeping an eye on activities outside in the garden.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Well done with the rescue mate, lovely iggy.
For help on sexing, start a thread in the lizard section and yourl get the best help possible.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am not sure how to read Ig body language. But when I scratch its cheek his eyes close. Does this mean he enjoys it.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
it means he enjoys it or is shying away... does he close his eyes wherever you touch him?
if so its not a problem anyway but does mean he is a little nervous.
if he just closes it when you do a specific thing then yeh he prolly likes it.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
i hate to dis agree with you dean but the closing of the eyes means " i cant see you there fore you are not there" hes ignoring you when he closes the eye closest to you.if iggys close the eye thats not looking at you and keep the eye open that is looking at you this is a sign they are enjoying you and your touch.if they close the eye closest to you this is a sign of ignoring you and blocking you out.both eyes closed and head up and dewlap out is a sign of blocking out too.
theres loads of info about iggys behaviour and body language on melissa kaplans green iguana site.: victory:

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
He certainly looks male to me :) and he is a right stunner too :)

Well done for giving him a fab home I am sur ehe will tame down with time.

I found with our ig that he would, at first, close his eyes through nerves as in you can't seme if I can't see you lol

I then found certain things would make him close his eyes through him being relaxed with me such as tickling his dewlap and face.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it means he enjoys it or is shying away... does he close his eyes wherever you touch him?
if so its not a problem anyway but does mean he is a little nervous.
if he just closes it when you do a specific thing then yeh he prolly likes it.
He only closes his eyes when I scratch the jowl, subtympanic shield and tuberculate scale areas: http://www.greenigsociety.org/anatomy.htm if I scratch any other part of his body his eyes stays open.

·
Registered
675 Posts
he is a lovely animal and looks like he is going to be well happy living with u! i wish u all the best of luck with him and hope he tames a bit!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts