Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got into an argument at work about cross breeding boas and pythons i know it can be done but he want proof he got pythons i know it cannot be done together (boa cross python of any sort) but i seen a list on the net 1 type of boas x another type = result ther was all sorts on it but now i want it i cannot find it if you know of any links to a page like that would be helpful want to shut he up he been at me all day at work and still going for it after thanks

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
i got into an argument at work about cross breeding boas and pythons i know it can be done but he want proof he got pythons i know it cannot be done together (boa cross python of any sort) but i seen a list on the net 1 type of boas x another type = result ther was all sorts on it but now i want it i cannot find it if you know of any links to a page like that would be helpful want to shut he up he been at me all day at work and still going for it after thanks
Can you try this again in english please :bash:

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I wouldn't of thought it was possible considering one lays eggs and the other gives birth to live young.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would of though this would conclude in mutations, can someone research this please?

Luke : victory:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Have to admit, offhand I can't think of a boa/python cross, remember seeing Burmballs (ball python x buremese python) and Carpondros (carpet python x green tree python) both very weird, but I can't think of an example for you. They have very different reproductory systems (baos give birth to live young, whereas pythons lay eggs) so this could be an obstacle when cross breeding.... *scratching head*

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
i've read it a few times and i think the jist of it is..

python and boa can't be done but they want to know if different boa's can be bred together.

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
pythons x pythons and boas x boas - yes you can, but I don't think a python x boa could work due to the very differant breeding methods.
Even the three boas that lay eggs are so far removed from the eggs of any python (only about 1 week incubation until hatching) that the babies would never make it.
I bet they'd have a go at mating though!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Have to admit, offhand I can't think of a boa/python cross, remember seeing Burmballs (ball python x buremese python) and Carpondros (carpet python x green tree python) both very weird, but I can't think of an example for you. They have very different reproductory systems (baos give birth to live young, whereas pythons lay eggs) so this could be an obstacle when cross breeding.... *scratching head*
Yea, i remember burmballs, they always used to sit in a sort of ball on a branch, must of been extremely hard to produce.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Yea, i remember burmballs, they always used to sit in a sort of ball on a branch, must of been extremely hard to produce.

Exactly! By the time both specimens were sexually mature, the size difference would be extreme! They must have used a dwarf burm of some sort surely....or else squished ball!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Pythons and boas are far too distantly related to each other to be able to breed and produce offspring. The fact that pythons lay eggs whereas boas are livebearers is an obvious "spanner in the works" but even if that wasn't the case and they were both livebearers or egg layers it still wouldn't be possible.

In taxonomic terms they are both in a different family to each other. To give you an analogy, humans are of the order Primata and in the family Hominidae. Gorillas are also in the order Primata and family Hominidae so technically humans and Gorillas are more closely related than pythons and boas. A baboon on the other hand is in the family Cercopithecidae but also of the order Primata. So in taxonomic terms humans and baboons are about as closely related as pythons and boas....

Anyone fancy having kids with a baboon?? :lol2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
this driving me up the wall bee trawlinh the net trying to find the list i had once not sure if there was pythons on it but deffo boas it stating to hurt my eyes looking at the monitor lol but one way or another am gonna prove to him i was right lol

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
this driving me up the wall bee trawlinh the net trying to find the list i had once not sure if there was pythons on it but deffo boas it stating to hurt my eyes looking at the monitor lol but one way or another am gonna prove to him i was right lol
Now I'm confused. Are you looking for info on breeding different python species together (python x python) and different boa species together (boa x boa), or are you looking for info on breeding pythons with boas (python x boa)?

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
Three minutes hunting on google images and I found the following examples of python crosses

species crosses

Burmball - Python molurus bivittatus x Python regius (burmese x ball)

albino burmball

Carpondro - Morelia spilota x Morelia viridis (carpet python x green tree python)

And a genus cross

A Wall - Aspidites ramsayii x Python regius (woma x ball python)

Cheers

Andy

p.s.

You can also breed burms with retics and you get the bateater. (looks a bit like a brazilian rainbow). Bob Clark has done it.

Looks like a rainbow boa? I'm not convinced it does! Here's a borneo bateater

Cheers

Andy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts