Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our royal python (about 18 months) has retained eyecaps. We went to the vet tonight and were given cream to soften them and then told to wait a couple of hours, spray her and rub them til they are removed - but its not happening very easily. One of them is almost all off but it feels firm round the edges. We didnt want to stress her too much so have returned her to the viv and are gonna repeat the process tomorrow.

Does anybody have any suggestions as this is new to us!

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I Had the same problem with my Jumanji. Roughly a 2 year old royal i received from a friends relative. Who didnt know anything about humiderty. He had about 2-3 layers of retained eye caps on from them 2-3 shed. It's crazy.

I didnt take the risk of rubbing them or cream what so ever. I didnt trust myself enough. When your rub/wipe the eye, and you say its seems pretty stuck to the snakes head, is it like a grey/white color holding it. If so, I was afraid that it was just the actual Eye.

So What im trying to say, Is just leave the snake untill it comes up for the next shed. And increase the humiderty loads (More so then when u would for a normal up coming shed).

Note, he still has bumpy looking eyes, from scar like markings. But It's the best you can. Best cure is prevention they say.

I would not risk it, And I wouldnt defernetly not use the cello-tape method (Dont be curious about it - If u hear somebody saying cello-tape with retained eye caps - Avoid it!)

Good Luck, let us. Feel Free To Pm,

Scott M

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Yes - well said, Meltos. Just wait till next shed comes then lots of humidity, and sphagnum moss in the hides and the retained caps will come off with the rest.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Leaving it is not always best. Tried that and my girl shed yesterday, much better than last time, but still retained eyecaps. This is because I was using oil to soften the old shed on other areas, and I only found out later that this hinders the next shed.

I have put her in a damp pillowcase. She likes being in there so that's a start. Weekly baths should also help.

The old shed sticks like glue if it doesn't come off at the appropriate time. More moisture is needed to ease it off.

Try the pilowcase, and weekly bathing, and the cream, but if it doesn't budge it, you are best off returning to the vet in a couple of weeks, so that it can be removed using tweezers (tweezers should only be used by your vet or somoene with vast experience)

Eye caps should not be left until the next shed, which could be months away. Permanent eye damage could occur as a result.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
i got warm water an sat down with my corn rubbing it gently with a peice if kitchen roll, it took a while but its a need to do thing

·
Registered
380 Posts
you cant leave them on, for one it will be stressing the snake as its vision will be impaired, also if you wait for another shed you will probably find an extra set of eyecaps to deal with.
just keep giving him baths and plenty humidity, then gently rub them with the cream etc....
keep up what you are doing there is not much else id reccomend.
p.s a certain reptile rescue rehomed a royal with someone on this forum which had retained (multiple) eyecaps (shouldnt have been rehomed in this state) they woman at the rescue said to use celotape to lift the eyecaps off!!!! NEVER DO THIS seriousy this was advised to a forum member by a certain rescue centre, no names mentioned! thankfully she had the sence not to heed this outragous advice, didnt you.. lol

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I think Ross and I are in agreement, keep trying, don't leave them and FFS dont do the sellotape thing! The process of removing the eyecaps will take a while of repeating the same measure, but eventually, you will have a happy snake :wink:

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Sano said:
should you have the snake if you don't know what to do?
Uncalled for. this forum is for advice, since no one wants any animal to suffer. retained eyecaps and shedding problems arise, even with the most experienced keepers. The thread starter has sufficient advice to go on now, so your 2 pennith is both pointless and aggrivating.

most of us have had enough of sh*t stirrers like you, so bog off.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I had this touble once and used som every low tack masking tape as this is nowhere near as sticky as cellotape.

Just wrap a small band around one of your fingers and gently put it over the eye.

I found this out from a top breeders website.

Hope this helps as if the cap is left on after several more sheds it can lead to blindness.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
talltom69 said:
I had this touble once and used som every low tack masking tape as this is nowhere near as sticky as cellotape.

Just wrap a small band around one of your fingers and gently put it over the eye.

I found this out from a top breeders website.

Hope this helps as if the cap is left on after several more sheds it can lead to blindness.

Cheers
OK. but they should really try softening the caps first. like i said the old shed sticks like glue. any kind of tape on that is not going to be pleasant. I would suggest that tape would be a very last resort?

·
Registered
380 Posts
i wount suggest using tape at all, last resort would be getting a herp expert or vet to remove them, selotape or any kind of tape for that matter should never be used, theres a 101 things that could be harmfull, like the glue on the tape could damage the eyes, some small piece of sharp debris could have got stuck to the tape, tape may be too high tack and remove more than the eye caps....... please feel free to add¬
sorry to say it but this was terrible advice and it should never be done.
should you have the snake if you don't know what to do?
did you know exactly whta to do when an unexpected problem arose? everyone has to begin somewhere and at least they are asking advice.
its snide comments like this that will stop beginers asking advice,
good luck nik were here to help no matter what the problem

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi all,

Well many thanks for all the advice (not so sure about Sano though!!)

I've been keeping snakes for about 5 years now and we've encountered minor problems with sheds and eye caps in the past but I've always used the bathing method and they've come off fine!! This time however, they seem to be a little more insistant that they want to stay where they originated from!!

So, down to the vets to make sure and also thought it'd be a good idea to bring it up in the place where I can get the most advise or any little tricks that I didn't know about!

So....Sano, Yes I should be keeping snakes but thanks for your opinion (I hope you never encounter a problem that you may need a little advice on)

Anyway guys and gals, your advise is well received and it looks like we were doing the right thing (and no sellotape will be used!!! :D )

Nik

·
Registered
380 Posts
good decision, the vet will probably remove them with blunt nose tweezers and oil, i do this myself as a last resort but i find i dont usually have to and i take in some pretty messy snakes!
let us know how you get on.
dont worry about sano, anyone read the thread about him/her and elenor and a couple of other members that are all the same person ripping people off on this forum? theiving little rodent wont be back here!
good luck nik dont let the odd assholes like him put you off this forum as 99% of us are genuineley nice guys and here to help

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I couldn't see it mentioned on this thread (but I may have retained eye-caps lol :)) but if you use a rough (no softener) freshly cleaned damp (dampened once its dried) towel and let the snake push through this once its been in a very humid viv that it sometimes works. Give it a try if you haven't already and are worried!! Hope everything gets sorted and is ok. xx

·
Registered
216 Posts
i asked about the same problem last week and got some good advice , i used the damp pillow case and one cap came off but the other was being more stubbon so i got a bowl of luke warm water and some cotton wool , dampen the cotton wool and squeeze out most of the water , then i placed it near the eye and the snake actualy rubbed over the cotton wool itself , i dont this 3 or 4 times and eventually the remaining cap came off and i swear i heard my royal give a sigh of relief lmao , but it worked for me so thought i would share :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts